Windows 8.1 power profiles

matoakley

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all

Im new to windows 8.1 and cant work out a power profile where the fans actually switch off when the pc goes to sleep - could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Mat

steaky360

Are you sure its meant to?

Source: http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/windows_8-sleep-hibernation-power_settings-hiberfil.sys,2-229-2.html

Windows 8 Sleep Mode

Windows 8's Sleep saves your data to RAM and then switches to minimal power mode. There is a 4 second delay as Windows 8 switches back to normal power mode. In the event of a power failure you would lose any unsaved data which is stored in RAM (memory). At this point you will probably have to type in your password to resume after sleep; fortunately, 'Require a password on wakeup' is another configurable setting from the task list menu.

Minimal power mode to me means the PC is still switched on.

Maybe you actually want to hibernate as opposed to sleep?

To be honest though, with Windows 8 starting up so fast, why not just switch it off?

Spuff

Expert
I was letting W8.1 go to sleep, but on waking up it lost sight of my external drive, and only taking the USB lead out the PC and putting it in a different USB socket made it work again (it wouldn't work if I re-booted and left it in the same socket, but that socket did work again when I changed back to it). On another occasion after waking up everything went a bit crazy and I had to re-start.
So now I keep my PC awake until I turn it off.
Shut down had been taking about 4 seconds, but last night to my surprise it was less than one second.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
TBH I don't see the point in sleeping a PC. With a laptop it makes sense to conserve battery life but what's the point with a PC? Windows 8 uses fast-boot (by hibernating the kernel on shutdown) so it boots real fast in any case.