Windows 8.1 taking up 68% of SSD! HELP

jonnyguitar21

Hi,

we've just got a new PCS PC and without installing any other software Windows 8.1 is taking up 68% of a 120GB SSD.
Reading around, Windows apparently builds in room for back ups/hibernation etc., but does anyone know a quick way to reduce it's size
down to the 25GB that it is supposed to be?

Really appreciating any help, Jon

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you never use the hibernation feature you can save the disk (SSD) space the hiberfil.sys file uses by disabling hibernation completely. To do that open a command prompt and enter the command "powercfg -h off" (but without the quotes).

If you also have a hard disk you can save space on the SSD (and reduce the write cycles slightly) by moving the page file (pagefile.sys) to the hard disk. If you have ample RAM you'll not write to the page file that often (though you should still have one). To do that go to Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings. In the window that opens click the Advanced tab and then the Performance button. In the performance section click the Advanced tab and then the Change button. Here you should set No paging file on your SSD and also set a system managed paging file on the HDD. You will need to reboot.

Also, if you upgraded from an earlier version of Windows there will be a Windows.old folder on the C: drive which you can almost certainly delete.

You will also find that your c:\users folder is on the SSD, so all your user data will be written there as well. If you also have a hard disk you should move the contents of c:\users to the HDD. You can't just copy them (Windows will still use C:\users if you do) you have to move them individually via file explorer. Right-click on each folder under c:\users\your_name\ (eg. c:\users\your_name\Documents) select Properties and then click on the Location tab. You can then point Windows to the appropriate folder on your HDD, WIndows will move the contents from the SSD to the HDD and remember the new location so that all future reads and writes to the relevant folder are done to the HDD.

On my 120GB SSD Windows 8.1 and all my (many) applications take up only 33GB of disk space (28%). I have no hiberfil.sys nor pagefile.sys on there and the entire contents of c:\users (except the desktop) have been moved to my HDD.