Windows 8-ish... Desktop/user interface

heza121

Silver Level Poster
Hi all, first of all I wasn't quite show as to where to post this, so apologies if i have placed in the wrong part of the forums.
I have been looking at what may turn out to be windows 8 - which looks much like windows 7 phone and the new xbox dashboard. I think it looks amazing. So I found a away in which you can make your desktop look like windows 8. Even though it isn't quite windows 8, the desktop is a lot more customized and best suited to my needs, and in my opinion looks really "swish". - Desktop Image

I have also changed the start button to an icon that looks really cool, and glows brightly when you hover over it.

As well as this, I have changed my logon screen, to have any image as my background. (As I couldn't print screen the logon screen, i took a photo of it, sorry about that) ( Logon Screen Image )

In my opinion I just think that it looks really cool, and it makes me feel "special" :D lol.

I tried to upload some photos but it wouldn't let me here, so i uploaded them to my flickr where you can now all see them :) ( Link to both photos. )

For you that want to know how to do it:
Win8: Click
Change start button Icon: Click
How to change logon screen: Clicky

Last edited:

heza121

Silver Level Poster
oh yeah oops! sorry my bad, i shall edit it in! :p

EDIT: there ya goo! :p - i thought i had already put them in - my bad haha:D

Last edited:

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
I have downloaded the developer preview. It is pretty cool but I still use win7 as it has all my programs. There isn't really a massive difference between the two apart from the start menu and the apps.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
dam was the developer preview free? could have got rid of linux :(

I'm sure there are more differences, you probably were using an alpha/beta version as well, lots of features willl be added

I know its a while yet but apparently Windows 9 will be 128bit compatible lol

I actually think that windows 8 will be more efficient and use less memory

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Lol,after using XP for almost ten years I'm just getting used to windows7. :)

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I used vista for a while......never again......my dad's still running xp on his ageing pentium D, runs a little slow but gets him there.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
dam was the developer preview free? could have got rid of linux :(

I'm sure there are more differences, you probably were using an alpha/beta version as well, lots of features willl be added

I know its a while yet but apparently Windows 9 will be 128bit compatible lol

I actually think that windows 8 will be more efficient and use less memory

Yup, it is really easy to get, I installed it all in about 15 minutes after the hour and a half download due to my internet connection! It is alright but you can't use a lot of programs like word and stuff as they aren't yet compatible. I wouldn't recommend upgrading to it from win7 when it comes out but I would suggest trying it and it will still be good.

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
Lol,after using XP for almost ten years I'm just getting used to windows7. :)

strange coincidence, we got our £1000 1.2ghz PC in 2001 (lol!)

and only this year have I purchased a Windows 7 PC, I actually went backwards and was on Windows 98 for a while!

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
strange coincidence, we got our £1000 1.2ghz PC in 2001 (lol!)

and only this year have I purchased a Windows 7 PC, I actually went backwards and was on Windows 98 for a while!
Yeah,I thought windows 98 second edition was brilliant,
maybe I'm just being nostalgic though. :)