Windows Disc Assignment

DonH

You now have two M.2 SSDs in there then? Are you certain that both M.2 ports are bootable?

What we see is that the installer clearly doesn't think your new SSD (disk 2) is bootable, which is why its put the EFI partition on your old SSD (disk 0) which is bootable.

The new SSD itself is bootable so I can only assume that the second M. 2 port doesn't support booting.

The solution is to swap the two M.2 SSDs around. Then you can install Windows on (and boot) your new SSD. Your old SSD will still be accessible and usable as a storage drive, it just won't be bootable.
I have no idea.

I simply asked someone at PCS if it was possible for me to use the spare slot for running Windows as I needed additional space, and if they could suggest a suitable SSD.

They supplied the INTEL one.

I asked if I should swop the SSDs to place the new one in slot 1 and was told there was no need to.

I have been able to format and assign that part of the drive which does not contain the boot section giving me 119GB free.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have no idea.

I simply asked someone at PCS if it was possible for me to use the spare slot for running Windows as I needed additional space, and if they could suggest a suitable SSD.

They supplied the INTEL one.

I asked if I should swop the SSDs to place the new one in slot 1 and was told there was no need to.

I have been able to format and assign that part of the drive which does not contain the boot section giving me 119GB free.
If you're happy then all well and good but it that were mine I'd swap the SSDs over and reinstall to keep all UEFI partitions on the same drive.

I'd bet that having the EFI partition on a different drive is going to bite you one day.

DonH

If you're happy then all well and good but it that were mine I'd swap the SSDs over and reinstall to keep all UEFI partitions on the same drive.

I'd bet that having the EFI partition on a different drive is going to bite you one day.

Thank you. I'll give it some consideration; having spent the past two days reinstalling everything.

DonH

OK I have swopped the SSDs and reinstalled Windows. Odd thing now is that I cannot see my hard drive though it is listed in Device Manager.

Any clues?

DonH

Attachments

• Mising Disk.png
    Mising Disk.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 127

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You said you can see it in Device Manager? Right-click on it there and select Properties. In there click on the Volumes tab and then click the Populate button. Post a screenshot of what you see.

DonH

You said you can see it in Device Manager? Right-click on it there and select Properties. In there click on the Volumes tab and then click the Populate button. Post a screenshot of what you see.

as requested,

Attachments

• Mising Disk 2.png
    Mising Disk 2.png
    18 KB · Views: 129

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
as requested,
That's your new SSD with Windows on it. It's drive label C:.

Are you sure your HDD is visible in Device Manager?

I would check that the drive is fully seated, you may have disturbed it whilst swapping the SSDs.

DonH

That's your new SSD with Windows on it. It's drive label C:.

Are you sure your HDD is visible in Device Manager?

I would check that the drive is fully seated, you may have disturbed it whilst swapping the SSDs.
Just noticed on Disk Management that I have Disk 0 and Disk 1 when previously the 2 Drive was Disk 2
Disk 1 was the hard drive.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just noticed on Disk Management that I have Disk 0 and Disk 1 when previously the 2 Drive was Disk 2
Disk 1 was the hard drive.
The drive numbers are not fixed, it depends on the order in which the drives are found.

Can you see the HDD in Device Manager? If not check that the HDD is properly seated. We know it was OK because we've seen it before. :)

DonH

The drive numbers are not fixed, it depends on the order in which the drives are found.

Can you see the HDD in Device Manager? If not check that the HDD is properly seated. We know it was OK because we've seen it before. :)
In the screen capture \\I can see a 500GB drive. My hard drive is 500GB, but if this is the drive in question, why can I not see the two SDD in ) an 1?

Attachments

• Mising Disk.png
    Mising Disk.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 122

DonH

In the screen capture \\I can see a 500GB drive. My hard drive is 500GB, but if this is the drive in question, why can I not see the two SDD in ) an 1?
I have taken the hard drive out, placed it is a carriage and plugged it into another machine and it works. Problem is I see it contains Windows!!! I'm sure I chose drive 0 for the installation but I will have to do it again.

However, why is it I can only see 1 of the two SSDs?

DonH

I have replaced the hard drive and swapped over the two SSDs and in starting the installation I can see 3 drives??

The new SSD is showing as drive 2 so I have selected this.

I'll let you know how it goes.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have taken the hard drive out, placed it is a carriage and plugged it into another machine and it works. Problem is I see it contains Windows!!! I'm sure I chose drive 0 for the installation but I will have to do it again.

However, why is it I can only see 1 of the two SSDs?
Before you go any further you need to establish definitively that the second M.2 slot supports an SSD. We already know that it doesn't support a bootable SSD and the fact that you see your new SSD in that slot nay be a fluke.

I would contact PCS as a matter of urgency and fnd out whether the second M.2 slot supports a second SSD. If so, find out if there are there any restrictions on the type of SSD that can go in there.

We really can't troubleshoot further without being certain of the capability of that second M.2 port.

DonH

In the meantime I went ahead and installed Windows onto the new disk in the second slot and everything went fine.

I have attached a scree capture of Disk Management.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-02 112017.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-12-02 112017.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 116

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
In the meantime I went ahead and installed Windows onto the new disk in the second slot and everything went fine.

I have attached a scree capture of Disk Management.
Indeed it did! I wonder why it screwed up the EFI partition last time then? My bet is a less than ideal SSD fitting in the M.2 slot, we've had that issue before.

Well done getting it sorted. :)

DonH

Indeed it did! I wonder why it screwed up the EFI partition last time then? My bet is a less than ideal SSD fitting in the M.2 slot, we've had that issue before.

Well done getting it sorted. :)
Thank you for your assistance and patience.