Windows Store, UWP, Xbox for PC beta

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Has anyone tried the 3 months for £1 promotion for the Xbox for PC subscription service?

Or does anyone use the Windows Store for games?

Wondering how the experiences have been

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Has anyone tried the 3 months for £1 promotion for the Xbox for PC subscription service?

I bought Gears of War on Microsoft Store when they first re released it and it was plagued with graphical and performance issues.

Display problems
The initial release of Gears of War Ultimate Edition suffered from significant display problems and stuttering on contemporary top-end hardware, leading to significant criticism of the developer and Microsoft's Universal Windows Platform.[113][114] The problems partially related to the developer's transition of the game to DirectX 12 and the implementation of ambient occlusion.[115] Driver updates and a patch from the studio significantly helped to address the issues.[116][117]

On Xbox One X, when video resolution is set to 4K UHD, Gears of War Ultimate Edition suffers from brightness, color, and sharpness fluctuations. These fluctuations can be distracting to the player and significantly detract from the experience. As of January 2020, Microsoft has not issued a patch to address this issue. The only known workaround is to manually set the Xbox One X video resolution to 1080p when playing the game.[118]

Then I bought Quantum Break which had pretty much the same issues at launch whereas on other platforms it worked fine.

That put me off and haven’t bought anything since.

That was a while ago though when AAA on windows store was still quite new, I think they’ve upped their game since then.

Last edited:

kelstu

Gold Level Poster
I tried the Xbox Beta and got a refund within 30 minutes as most of the games i already had

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member

I've had an active subscription for a while. Picked it up for Outer Worlds and I'm playing the odd game that I cannot justify buying due to certain negative aspects.

E.g. Metro Exodus, Vampyr and some other indie games.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Segue, I opted for the Geforce Now premium offer last night. Lets you play your Steam/Uplay/Etc games via their servers (horsepower).

£5 a month with 3 months free. Looks the part. There's also a free version that lets you play for an hour at a time. No CC required etc to try it out. I've had it pretty much since the original Shield TV came out and can't speak highly enough about it. For casual gaming it's as good as it gets.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Segue, I opted for the Geforce Now premium offer last night. Lets you play your Steam/Uplay/Etc games via their servers (horsepower).

£5 a month with 3 months free. Looks the part. There's also a free version that lets you play for an hour at a time. No CC required etc to try it out. I've had it pretty much since the original Shield TV came out and can't speak highly enough about it. For casual gaming it's as good as it gets.
That’s very good value!!!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That’s very good value!!!

It's been free for so long so the £5 a month is obviously a bump in costs but... along with that they have added some really nice features:

There's now a Windows 10 App, no more need for moonlight
You can play it on just about any hardware, even your phone
Raytracing is enabled with the premium package (£5 a month).
The free games are still free

The only downside is that you only really get to play games you already own. Sure, there are some freebies in there and the catalogue does grow.... but you're not paying £5 a month to play this whole suite of games. They basically just store every game compatible on the servers and allow you to play your own game via their hardware. All saves etc are all synced via your account (whether it be steam or UPlay etc).

It's got massive room for growth as well. There are a number of developers sitting on the fence at the moment, waiting to see which way the wind blows. I think it's going to really kick off for them.