Windows Update

RichH

Gold Level Poster
So my Windows update (May 2019) failed with some message about an Intel RST Driver conflict which requires said driver to be updated to 15.9.6.1044

Navigating to the relevant Microsoft page there appears to be 4 driver options with a Note that suggests only one can be installed at a time.

I "think" I need the SetUpOptaneMemory.exe but am unsure and would appreciate any help

Cheers

RichH

Gold Level Poster
No idea what one of those even is - PC is just over 2 years old

Case CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE
Overclocked CPU Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-7700k Quad Core (4.20GHz @ up to 4.8GHz)
OC BIOS FIle Download Overclock BIOS File
Motherboard ASUS® ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING: LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GB, Wi-Fi - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk 3TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
M.2 SSD Drive 500GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3200MB/R, 1900MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
Power Supply CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

All of the 4 options mention Optane, which is what is confusing me

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You don’t have optane.

You can delete the Intel IRST driver, shouldn’t be on your system, there’s no requirement for it and it introduces security issues.

RichH

Gold Level Poster
Thanks for the speedy and really helpful answer.

Just need to figure how to delete it now :rolleyes:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
To add a bit of an explanation, Intel Rapid Storage Technology or IRST is really used for RAID configuration or high speed Optane caches.

It’s not required for normal storage setups which you have. It’s also pretty much always been buggy as hell and cause more problems than it solved.

RichH

Gold Level Poster
Weird - cant find it in:
Programs - Programs and Features - Uninstall a program
Device manager - IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers - drivers (only have Intel(R) 200 Series Chipset Family AHCI Contrleller)
Device manager - Storage controllers (have - Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller and Standard NVM Express Controller)

Weirdly the update failure notification has disappeared now as well

Thanks for the prompt help (y)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Weird - cant find it in:
Programs - Programs and Features - Uninstall a program
Device manager - IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers - drivers (only have Intel(R) 200 Series Chipset Family AHCI Contrleller)
Device manager - Storage controllers (have - Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller and Standard NVM Express Controller)

Weirdly the update failure notification has disappeared now as well

Thanks for the prompt help (y)
Weird, looks like it’s not there. Bit of a false positive perhaps.

RichH

Gold Level Poster
Indeed - It wasn't giving me any issues apart from the failed update notification.

Fingers crossed - Thanks for the assistance, much appreciated

Frog

All seems good today, so it seems to have cleared itself - hopefully.
The update fail displayed a box as shown on : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...rsion-1903-on-devices-with-certain-versions-o
which then eventually lead me to the Intel RST driver download page

I seem to have a similar problem. (It looks like this is a world-wide issue) and I am, unfortunately, not very good with the updating of drivers.
I attach a.pdf of the notification, and one with driver info.
The system is simple 2 drives - C & F.
Are you saying that all I need is to delete the iaStorA.sys 15.5.0.1051?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Windows1903_Update_Notification_290719.pdf
    323.7 KB · Views: 296
  • DriverInfo_290719.pdf
    232 KB · Views: 304

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I seem to have a similar problem. (It looks like this is a world-wide issue) and I am, unfortunately, not very good with the updating of drivers.
I attach a.pdf of the notification, and one with driver info.
The system is simple 2 drives - C & F.
Are you saying that all I need is to delete the iaStorA.sys 15.5.0.1051?

Thanks.
Interesting, thanks. What do you see if you click the 'Why am I seeing this' link and the 'Click here for more information' link? Which update is causing this (the KB number please)?

Frog

Wow, you've started earlier than I did! Many thanks.

If you look at https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...e-blocked-by-old-intel-rapid-storage-drivers/, for example, it directs me to iaStorA.sys 15.5.0.1051. They reckon it should be 15.9.6.1044 or later - although there actually many much later than that.
No KB number but https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...rsion-1903-on-devices-with-certain-versions-o
Sorry, I can't do any shots because I don't want to start the updating again yet. I switched off last night (and cut off power) because I didn't want things going on in the middle of the night!

Windows 10 automatic update of drivers just says the current one is the best.

If I go to the Intel site I come up against the OP's problem of "which of the many options"? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...l-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005
- and, in any case, Intel suggest "Note: Contact your system manufacturer prior to installing these applications or requesting technical support from Intel. They may provide software that is specifically configured for your system. " i.e. their version may not be the right one?

Also, I'm not sure about how to update drivers anyway, once downloaded, if it's not done automatically. Windows initally gives the option for seeking out on the web but then that disappears if you go for 'automatic'.

You may be getting more of these requests! (unless everyone else understands exactly what it going on.....

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I hadn't realised that you were upgrading to 1903, I thought we were talking about a regular Windows update. Sorry.

My best advice is don't do it. By that I mean don't upgrade-in-place from one version of Windows 10 to another. It should work seamlessly for everyone, but it just doesn't. Many people have had all sorts of hard to solve and niggly issues caused by upgrade-in-place. When you upgrade to a new version of Windows always clean install it. It takes a bit longer but you'll end up with a stable and reliable system - something that's very hit-and-miss if you upgrade-in-place. :)