Windows Update

Frog

I think this was the problem for the original poster, too. It seems to be world-wide because MS are now forcing the 'upgrade' to 1903.

The problem with a clean install is that you have to reinstall everything else as well - isn't it? Takes hours and hours.
Or am I wrong?

P-Squared

HI
I'm not sure if I should start another thread or whether it's OK to hijack this one as I have the same problem as RICHH did (but it came up today.) It seems exactly the same: a Windows 10 Update (no KB number - sorry) which is torpedoed by MS's claim that "iastora.sys doesn't work". I've attached a copy of the first notification - standard stuff, I'm sure. That then takes me to: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ion-1903-on-devices-with-certain-versions-o.I followed your advice to delete the Intel RST driver, but like RICHH it's not where you say it is (by that, I mean all I show under Storage Controllers in Device Manager is "Microsoft Storage Spacs Controller" (capture attached) and MS assure me I have the latest driver for that.) The problem is, of course,that I cannot complete the update until I can resolve the problem Windows thinks I have!
Can anyone help, please?

Attachments

• First Notification.JPG
    First Notification.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Device Manager.JPG
    Device Manager.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 202

Rakk

The Awesome
The problem with a clean install is that you have to reinstall everything else as well - isn't it? Takes hours and hours.
Or am I wrong?
Yes you do have to reinstall everything, but reinstalling everything can be a lot quicker than trying to work out exactly what has gone wrong and what needs doing to fix it.

I did a clean install of Windows last Thursday (new machine) and it literally took only a couple of minutes to get Windows installed (the fast M.2 drive probably helped). Just make sure you have an upto date install - which you can sort out from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10.
Just make sure you back up any data you need to keep and if any software allows you to export all your settings and stuff do that as well. Also make a list of stuff you need to reinstall :) Otherwise some time down the line you'll suddenly wonder where 'whatever' app has gone :)

Frog

Thanks for the sad answer....
I think it can wait a few days to see whether MS do anything about it.
Otherwise, P-squared, if you double click on IDE-ATA...Controllers, that brings up Intel(R) 200 series (etc), double click on that, go for 'Driver' , then 'Driver details' and you might, at least, find it. (I did.) What to do with it then is another question.....

RichH

Gold Level Poster
That's the screen shot of what leads me down the rabbit hole - it reappeared again today

It's not me trying to update or upgrade anything, it seems to be a regular windows update

Its doesn't appear to be causing any issues tho apart from the annoying notification, so I might just leave it well alone

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That's the screen shot of what leads me down the rabbit hole - it reappeared again today

It's not me trying to update or upgrade anything, it seems to be a regular windows update

Its doesn't appear to be causing any issues tho apart from the annoying notification, so I might just leave it well alone
Microsoft deliver new versions as though they were just normal updates - which of course they're not. Microsoft's aim is Windows 10 as a service, which I take to mean that it just works. Sadly, and not unusually, Microsoft's goals are way ahead of their ability to deliver them. Upgrading to a new version should be seamless but for all sorts of reasons (that I won't go into unless you really want to be bored) it's far from seamless for an unacceptable number of users.

I never recommend an upgrade-in-place (which is what Windows is trying to do there) and I will never recommend one until Windows has it's own software package manager.

A clean reinstall is not the nightmare many believe it to be, as long as you are careful to backup all your user data first (actually you should be doing that regularly in any case). You can find instructions on how to do a clean reinstall elsewhere on these fora, but it's really just a case of booting the installer, deleting all the UEFI partitions (there are four), installing Windows, running the Windows setup, and then running Windows Update until no more updates are found. That will also install all your drivers. All you need do then is reinstall all your third party software.

That is guaranteed to give you the leanest, fastest, most stable, and most reliable system you can get. My very best advice to you is backup what you have and do a clean install of 1903. You can download it, and write it to a bootable USB stick, with the Media Creation Tool.