Windows Updates

leebee2110

Bronze Level Poster
Hey,

I see that Windows 10, update 20H2 has been released. I remember seeing in some threads (that I can no longer find annoyingly) that when Windows release bigger updates, then it would be beneficial to carry out a fresh install. Am I making this up or is this a thing?

I remember it being as though just updating on top of updates on top of updates etc. doesn't sit too well on the custom build laptops (or any machine maybe, I have a Nova btw)

Appreciate any feedback guys :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey,

I see that Windows 10, update 20H2 has been released. I remember seeing in some threads (that I can no longer find annoyingly) that when Windows release bigger updates, then it would be beneficial to carry out a fresh install. Am I making this up or is this a thing?

I remember it being as though just updating on top of updates on top of updates etc. doesn't sit too well on the custom build laptops (or any machine maybe, I have a Nova btw)

This particular update is more of a service pack, there’s no need for a clean install on this one.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I just did an update to this when it came out the other week on both desktop & laptop & both are fine
Yep, confirm I did an in place upgrade on all my pc's.

Had a couple of issues where it took a few reboots to fully apply the update, but it's been fine other than that.

leebee2110

Bronze Level Poster
@SpyderTracks thanks mate, appreciate it. Out of interest, when the larger updates are released, what is the benefit of the clean install? I can only partially remember the details on it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
@SpyderTracks thanks mate, appreciate it. Out of interest, when the larger updates are released, what is the benefit of the clean install? I can only partially remember the details on it.
Often, a big version update where it adds new features will cause instability when done as an in place upgrade. It's not always the case, and as Windows matures, it gets less and less impactful (aside from buggy updates).

It's generally been advised to do clean installs with the major version updates, cleans out the windows databases and leads to quicker operation and less issues. This is particularly the case if you're looking for optimum performance for an extreme gaming rig or high end rendering station or something like that.

If it's just an office PC or something, then it's not so relevant as there are fewer requirements for optimum performance.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hey,

Microsoft have changed both the naming of WIndows 10 releases and the general content. What was yymm (eg. 1903, 1909) in now yyH1 (for the May release) and yyH2 (for the September release). Thus what would have been 2009 is now 20H2.

In general the yyH1 release is a feature release and is always best clean installed. These can be installed as an update via Windows Update but they are much more likely to cause niggly issues. If you must upgrade to a yyH1 release via Windows Update then see this guide ensure that you give yourself the best chance of a problem free upgrade.

In contrast the yyH2 release is usually more of a service pack and can be installed as an update via Windows Update with much more confidence. However, it's still important to follow the advice in this guide before upgrading. :)