Windows X Phone in the future

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Nah Apple have been garbage for a good long while now and as long as they keep charging 3-4 times the price of hardware because it has an apple logo on then they will continue to be garbage

All the nonsense they do with proprietary accessories is just downright evil
Spoken like a true anti-Appler! :D

Have you had iPhones or anything like that in the past out of interest? I'll be very interested to see what Windows X looks like I must say - but I think it would need to be literally game changing in almost every respect for me to consider moving.....

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Spoken like a true anti-Appler! :D

Have you had iPhones or anything like that in the past out of interest? I'll be very interested to see what Windows X looks like I must say - but I think it would need to be literally game changing in almost every respect for me to consider moving.....
I do think MS are a very differently thinking company now, since Bullmer exited (thank god). I wouldn’t put it past them to do something impressive, but, the real challenge for them will be raising developer interest in 3rd party apps, that’s where they’ve fallen over in the past. They’d have to give substantial returns to devs and undercut the 30% that Apple and Google charge.

Should be interesting.

D

Deleted member 41971

cannot say im surprised, Microsoft would be better at this time to concentrate on win 10 as its going to be very difficult to compete with google and apple on the mobile front. Microsoft could also find they are spending far more on an operating system for mobile devices without a great deal of return.

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I have been an early adopted of Windows Phone, with the Lg E900 Optimus 7, which has been the first smartphone using Windows Phone as OS. I actually liked the interface, how smooth it was etc, but it had almost no apps and a lot of important features were missing (without considering glitches and bugs). I also upgraded to several other Windows Phone smartphones, like the Nokia Lumia 800 (which I loved, the design was beaufitul in my opinion and is basically a Nokia N9 with different OS) I also had the 820 which at the time was given to me by the company I work for. Always used them as second phone. They failed cause of numerous things, first of all Ballmer and his weird decisions.

If Microsoft should ever release a new OS for mobile, I hope this time they do the right things instead of throwing a bunch of ideas and not concluding any of them

Bigfoot

Grand Master
I think I must belong to a mobile phone counter culture. I have only had 5 mobile phones: some early Nokia, followed by a Motorola Razr, then 3 phones from work - Blackberry, iPhone 6 plus and Samsung S8. I don’t use them much unless travelling. I did have a few apps on my iPhone as I also have an iPad. Now, I use the S8 as a phone, for a few texts, for email when away and for my fitness tracker. The screens on a phone are too small to be useful for most things and I much prefer my DLSR for photos, as I can control pretty much everything. Despite the advances in camera on phones, they still don’t have the performance and quality of a proper camera with a large sensor.

mdwh

Enthusiast
Am happy with Android (I've stuck with the dominant OSs, Symbian and then switching to Android in 2012), but it would be nice to have competition in mobile devices that isn't just the likes of IOS and S30+. It's depressing that things are getting so locked down (e.g., Android's scoped storage) - I remember the days when Microsoft was evil for adding support for DRM, now bizarrely Windows is one of the more open platforms compared to mobile OSs. Mobile phones work for what they do, but I no longer believe they can replace personal computers e.g. for productivity usages. This doesn't just have to be something that's the phone in my pocket, but can be for larger devices like tablets.

Indeed, a few years ago I'd have been convinced by the argument that for a pure large tablet, or when using a 2-in-1 in tablet mode, Windows wouldn't be as good as the dedicated mobile OSs, but now I wouldn't want anything but Windows 10.

I've never used a Windows mobile OS - as I understand it they ended up making them arguably as locked down as IOS anyway, so it didn't have that interest to me. And of course, Windows on mobile had the same app gap problem that Macs have on PCs. But neither of these issues apply to full Windows 10.

if Apple goes down the route they are threatening pretty much blocking anything from accessing your phone without alerting you first I'll definitely be swapping to Apple.
Note that on Android explicit permission is needed for accessing anything sensitive. Going further than that sounds like the criticisms Apple made of Windows Vista with its permission requests!

Let's not forget the facetime privacy bug...

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Am happy with Android (I've stuck with the dominant OSs, Symbian and then switching to Android in 2012), but it would be nice to have competition in mobile devices that isn't just the likes of IOS and S30+. It's depressing that things are getting so locked down (e.g., Android's scoped storage) - I remember the days when Microsoft was evil for adding support for DRM, now bizarrely Windows is one of the more open platforms compared to mobile OSs. Mobile phones work for what they do, but I no longer believe they can replace personal computers e.g. for productivity usages. This doesn't just have to be something that's the phone in my pocket, but can be for larger devices like tablets.

Indeed, a few years ago I'd have been convinced by the argument that for a pure large tablet, or when using a 2-in-1 in tablet mode, Windows wouldn't be as good as the dedicated mobile OSs, but now I wouldn't want anything but Windows 10.

I've never used a Windows mobile OS - as I understand it they ended up making them arguably as locked down as IOS anyway, so it didn't have that interest to me. And of course, Windows on mobile had the same app gap problem that Macs have on PCs. But neither of these issues apply to full Windows 10.

Note that on Android explicit permission is needed for accessing anything sensitive. Going further than that sounds like the criticisms Apple made of Windows Vista with its permission requests!

Let's not forget the facetime privacy bug...

Slight segue but have you looked ad Samsung DeX? I've never used it in anger but I have had a little play around with it and I was VERY impressed.

I don't think it would replace a PC for me in a professional workspace but I can see how it would be more than enough for a lot of users.