Wired Vs Wireless!?

SpaceJockey

Waiting on my first Gaming Pc to arrive so was after some advice on Home Networking; i dont have a big house, 2 bedroom, upstairs downstairs; Virgin 60mg Broadband running off their supplied Superhub(which as it turns out is not so super), also have 2 Xbox's, a PS3 & a couple of Laptops; the Superhub just doesnt cut it, any advice wouldmbe greatly appreciated! Thanks. : ):winkiss::sweatdrop:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Wired is definitely much much quicker and more reliable, I would recommend a set of homeplugs, unless the computer is right next to the router, in which case, just use an ethernet cable

You can also use homeplugs in various rooms and should only require a single connection from the router

Its hard to explain that part, hopefully this diagram will explain it
homeplug2.jpg

Wired is very good for online gaming, as it lowers the ping (response time) quite a bit, meaning you have a quicker response time than someone on wireless. Download speeds are usually better as well and much less likely to cut out

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I agree with the above. I too am now on that depressed list of people waiting for their rigs to arrive so I am trying to get my head round the minor details in the mean time.

I have always used wireless on both my laptop and my 360 and never have issues with dropping out, etc. However, my download speeds were always shocking which is why I'm looking at wiring up my pc when it arrives. I've looked into homeplugs and they seem to be the way to go. Whack a ethernet cable from your router into the homeplug on wall, plug the other homeplug in your computer room, run an ethernet cable from the wall to the pc and ta daaa.

I've been eye'ing up a 200mbps set on amazon for £30 as apparently there isn't a huge difference between the 200's and the 500's. I imagine both will be much better than wireless though.