With SSD boot drives becoming more popular

liquidtmd

Bronze Level Poster
Have PCS made any comments about potentially offering smaller SSDs than the mininal 120GB they have in the configurator at the moment?

I imagine many may be swayed with a between 60-80GB alternative to act as their first/primary/OS drive. Thoughts?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
not that I am aware. I wouldn't consider something smaller than 120gb as the main drive but I do install other applications to benefit from the faster loading times, with a smaller SSD I would have to be careful on what to install.

liquidtmd

Bronze Level Poster
not that I am aware. I wouldn't consider something smaller than 120gb as the main drive but I do install other applications to benefit from the faster loading times, with a smaller SSD I would have to be careful on what to install.

Hmm to each his own, depends what you're using it for. Just thought the option of a smaller unit may appeal to those looking to be as cheap as possible without deferring to a SSHD 8GB cache. With 60GB as a primary, even with the OS in full you'd still have 35GB+ for applications, which is a fair amount. Couple it with a secondary 1TB HDD for data storage for the said apps, and that seems like a good trade off.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Price of SSDs for 120gb are around £60 online last time I check. If others are looking for cheaper alternatives then a standard HDD will be better. Perhaps the V300 could be available for 120gb, might be cheaper than the standard kingstom.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I had a 60gb ssd when i first received my PCS rig. I found I was severely limited by the small size. I couldn't even install one game on it :(

One thing though, you can get a 120gb version for not much more than a 60gb version.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
The 120Gb is a nice compromise, for very little above the cost of say a 60gig model. With a 60Gb drive you can install the OS and iTunes or something... At lest with a 120Gb model you can install the OS + probably all of your most commonly used applications or a couple of games.

Some people would opt to save a couple of quid by going for the 60GB version only to end up disappointed when they try to use it in a real life environment. That might be behinds the decision not to offer the smaller drives, and most of the desktop drives start at 120Gb now anyway.