Worrying noise

MilRob

Good morning folks

I have driven thousands of miles through Southern Africa. Both on and off-road. One of the most important lessons I learnt was “listen to your vehicle”. You don’t want to be broken down in the middle of the bush 300 miles from the nearest assistance!. Unusual noises normally mean trouble is coming sometime, so you need to investigate and fix ASAP (with luck the noise might fall into the “it’s not serious, just turn up the music and ignore it” category!).

So. My new budget gaming PC received in October 2020. (I settled on this configuration because of a limited budget and the fact that graphics quality is of little importance to me. I go for the gameplay)

Recently I have noticed a louder than normal humming or whine. It sometimes “oscillates” and cycles louder then quieter for a while, then that stops and it goes back to just louder than normal.

If you turned on my PC you would probably not notice anything because you hadn’t heard what the sound level was previously.

As far as I am aware in my limited knowledge, there are only two moving/mechanical parts in a PC – fans and HDD – so probably one of these?.

Obviously I am concerned and would like to fix this problem but my worry is that if I send it back to PCS they have nothing to compare the noise level to, and would likely just return as is. Back to square one plus being without a PC for however many days (with COVID maybe weeks!!!)

Is there a diagnostic tool that I could run at home?

As I complete this request for help, the noise has receded almost entirely!! Grrrrr!!

Many thanks folks

Stay safe!

CaseCORSAIR 275R AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT Six Core CPU (4.5GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 SUPER - HDMI
1st Storage Drive1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingSTANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

Harag

Gold Level Poster
If possible try and open the side, and in a quite room "listen" for where the sound is, try and pin point it, back fans, PSU, CPU, GPU fans, front fans

Does the sound happen when your just "sat doing nothing" / browsing web.

You have a HDD, maybe if you can't work out where the sound is coming from, shut down the pc, unplug the HDD and try again (guessing your OS is on the SSD). Then we can rule out the HDD, but try and listen for the the general area.

MilRob

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply folks.

This is very embarrassing!! The noise has gone! (which is still worrying - what caused it??)

So I will wait to see if it reoccurs and follow the steps suggested. Just FYI the noise was constant - idle, using internet, Zoom, gaming etc.

Thanks again
Miles

Harag

Gold Level Poster
No problem, you're welcome, happy to help the problem comes back. We had someone else with a similar noise issue, we finally tracked it down to the PSU fan, and he got a video of it, which was helpful for PCS staff to confirm PSU issue.

Keep an eye on it, I know it's worrying when you get a noise that shouldn't be there.

nigsta

I have the same issue of a loud hum. I have traced it to the HDD. It disappears when it's unplugged I have tried to contact technical support but no one replies! Last time I tried by phone it took 2 hours!!

MilRob

Thanks pal

The noise still comes and goes. I have taken the side panel off but don't seem to be able to pinpoint the noise.
I'm not that good technically. I assume you're talking about the hard disk as opposed the the ssd I have? If so, how do I unplug it. When I look inside all I see is the CPU fan and the graphics card and a motherboard with a bunch of plugs and wires? :oops:

MilRob

This is infuriating folks!!
Since monday evening, the noise/whine/hum has been intermittent. Which basically means I can't tell if disconnecting the HDD works!!
So I guess that means I can do nothing about it.
Very frustrating but thank you for your efforts
A luta continua!!

MilRob

Many thanks.

I took the glass side panel off and have a recording on my phone which I'm sure I can send to my PC (not sure of the quality!) I'll work out how to send it to you/attach somehow. Apologies, I have onedrive but no clue how to use it!! It seems I need to send the file to an email address?
Can I attach the recording to this thread?

I have a suspicion that it is the CPU fan but can't quite pinpoint the source. It would occur even when under no load whatsoever!

Thanks again

MilRob

Hi there

Apologies for the delay

I have an audio file on my phone which I can upload to onedrive. Looked at onedrive and the only way that seems to be available to share files is by email invite. So I guess I would need an email address from you? Are you OK with that?

Cheers
Miles

MilRob

Good day NURSEMORPH!

Apologies for the delay in replying. I started a new volunteer role this week and it's been a bit hectic.

I think I finally worked out onedrive sharing!!

I hope I did it right
Cheers

MilRob

Hey no problem

Thanks for coming back to me.

I think you're right - CPU. Whatever it is, I won't let it cause me sleepless nights!

The floor? Sorry - my warped sense of humour. I can't hear the noise when the PC is under the table:giggle:

Cheers

MilRob

Cheers

Put the PC back on top of the disk. Been listening for 2 days. Guess what?

Noise gone!!

I'll take the glass side panel off again and keep my ears open

(y)