Worth it?

Gamergirl

Hi guys,

Just a quick question to see if it's worth upgrading my laptop. I bought the OctaneV 17 2 year ago now... quick specs

Intel core i7
16GB ram
Nvidia 1070

I'm wondering if it's worth £2.8k to upgrade to the i9 and 2080 super graphics card? Will it be a big leap to get the Recoil IV?

Thanks for any info

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
What would you be using it for? Given the cost of laptops, I'd be thinking about moving to a desktop once the price got to that kind of money, as desktops tend to be better value.

Gamergirl

What would you be using it for? Given the cost of laptops, I'd be thinking about moving to a desktop once the price got to that kind of money, as desktops tend to be better value.

It's for gaming, i did think about moving to desktop but there's really not much room for one and i like to game at friends houses too. I was also looking at the Alienware area 51 but obviously don't want to discuss that in this foum lol

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
It's for gaming, i did think about moving to desktop but there's really not much room for one and i like to game at friends houses too. I was also looking at the Alienware area 51 but obviously don't want to discuss that in this foum lol
Yeah, given the nature of PCS, it's best not to discuss competitors here!

@SpyderTracks would you have any thoughts on laptops? I'm not sure who the goto person on laptops is around here.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi guys,

Just a quick question to see if it's worth upgrading my laptop. I bought the OctaneV 17 2 year ago now... quick specs

Intel core i7
16GB ram
Nvidia 1070

I'm wondering if it's worth £2.8k to upgrade to the i9 and 2080 super graphics card? Will it be a big leap to get the Recoil IV?

Thanks for any info
Why are you looking to upgrade is the first question? Do you have the 4k screen or 1080p?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have the 1080p and i'm just wanting the best graphics to be honest.
Between the card you have and the 2080 would make absolutely zero difference at all whatsoever. Your current card will be maxing the screen, the 2080 won’t do any better.

The only time it may be worth it will be when the 3000 mobile series are released when you’d get the added benefit of ray tracing, but until then the screen is bottlenecking any performance.

Last edited:

barlew

Godlike
So not much point upgrading then? Thankyou for your replies :)

It would make a different if you were playing the latest AAA games on ultra settings but not the kind of difference that would warrant spending £2.5k.
For that money you would be way better off buying a brand new laptop.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It would make a different if you were playing the latest AAA games on ultra settings but not the kind of difference that would warrant spending £2.5k.
For that money you would be way better off buying a brand new laptop.
What difference would it make to ultra settings? If you're talking Ray Tracing, the 2080ti desktop card can barely manage 60fps with ray tracing enabled at 1080p, the mobile 2080 would be useless.

Other than that, either card is going to hit the 144Hz bottleneck of the screen, so won't make any difference.

Last edited:

barlew

Godlike
What difference would it make to ultra settings? If you're talking Ray Tracing, the 2080ti desktop card can barely manage 60fps with ray tracing enabled at 1080p, the mobile 2080 would be useless.

Other than that, either card is going to hit the 144Hz bottleneck of the screen, so won't make any difference.

I assume I must be missing somthing here?

A GTX 1070 is not going to be able to cover off games such as COD warzone for example at 1080p 60FPS on ultra settings?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I assume I must be missing somthing here?

A GTX 1070 is not going to be able to cover off games such as COD warzone for example at 1080p 60FPS on ultra settings?
My god, I hold my hands up and offer sincerest apologies.... I'd read it as the 1080 for starters, and even then I'm way off with my performance estimates on modern titles.

Thank you @barlew for correcting me and sincere apologies to OP for misinforming you.

I still don't think it's worth upgrading your current chassis, I'd wait until around March when we should get 3000 series laptops hitting the market.

Again, very sorry, that's really bad of me!

FerrariVie

Super Star
Read this thread before buying an area 51m: