Build advice

lucasthewolf

Hi,

This is my first post, so please go kindly!

I am in a bit of a back and forth, and I don't know what is best to do. I had an old Clevo P170EM for 9 years and it was great. Sadly, it has just given out and I am looking for another to replace it with. So I have narrowed it down to the 17.3" Optimus Pro XI. I don't game very much, but I use the laptop mainly for editing, rendering etc, video (not yet 4k but would like to), as well as photography etc. I use mainly the Adobe suite but have ventured into DaVinci Resolve recently due to it being more GPU dependant. What I am stuck with is this. I am settled on the AMD Ryzen 7 4800h CPU. I would love to marry that with the RTX 2060, but it is out of stock until at least 01/11/20, so it will be at least another 7-8 weeks before it arrives if I can get it as soon as it comes back in stock. If it is really necessary, I can wait for it. But if I am not going to get that much more from it, I can go with the cheaper option; I could go with the GTX 1650 Ti which I could order today. I know it isn't as powerful, hasn't got as many CUDA cores. But if it is suitably adequate for what I need, is it worth my buying that now and saving £150?

What do you suggest I do? Wait for the RTX 2060, or buy it now with the GTX 1650 Ti? Will it be sufficient for my needs? Or will I regret it a year down the line?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Wolf

lucasthewolf

Sorry, I know it's another what do you recommend post.
With the wait of the Ryzen 7 4800h APU with RTX 2060 GPU setups, I'm looking for alternatives. I am set on the Optimus Pro XI. It will be used mainly video rendering, DaVinci Resolve (which I know uses mainly GPU), as well as Adobe suite and then a bit of gaming. It'll be maxed out with RAM and two Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2 drives.
So if I can't wait for the 4800h and 2060 setup should I go for:

Ryzen 7 4800h with GTX 1650 Ti
Or
Intel i7 10750h with RTX 2060

Thanks in advance

FerrariVie

Super Star
Sorry, I know it's another what do you recommend post.
With the wait of the Ryzen 7 4800h APU with RTX 2060 GPU setups, I'm looking for alternatives. I am set on the Optimus Pro XI. It will be used mainly video rendering, DaVinci Resolve (which I know uses mainly GPU), as well as Adobe suite and then a bit of gaming. It'll be maxed out with RAM and two Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2 drives.
So if I can't wait for the 4800h and 2060 setup should I go for:

Ryzen 7 4800h with GTX 1650 Ti
Or
Intel i7 10750h with RTX 2060

Thanks in advance
Does your budget allow you to get another chassis with i7 10875H + 2060? That would be roughly the same performance as the 4800H + 2060 and I believe that the difference will be quite big between the 4800H/10875H and 10750H, as the latter only has 6 cores versus 8 on the former 2.

And regarding GPU, the difference will be even bigger, as the 1650 Ti is quite basic nowadays (imo). As you can see on my own build (signature), I always opt for the best GPU available :p . But I don't do any video/photo editing, so there's not much CPU usage requirements here.