XP to Win7

Deklore

Bright Spark
Apologies if these questions are a bit newbish, but i havent really been keeping up with things...

Ive been a long term xp user (refused to go to Vista) and am now replacing my desktop with a win7 based system. I am a bit concerned about the compatibility with some of the common programs i use and if i will be able to use them on the win7 system especially since its the 64bit version im getting.
So was wondering if there would be any problems loading up my old programs onto win7 like spybot, nero, NOD antivirus etc.
Also how about games? will older games like the original F.E.A.R, Battlefield 2, AMRA work?

Finally, what is the difference between 64bit and 32bit based systems in laymans terms? i.e. the "end user" notable differences rather than the tech differences?

Again, apologies if these questions seem a bit obvious, im just trying to clarify things in my head and hopefully clear a little dust in there at the same time :)

Gorman

Author Level
Easy. Old programs like spybot, nero, NOD antivirus etc, you will need the Win 7 variants. Your old games are fine.

The main difference for the layman is that you can have more than 4Gb ram. I would not be surprised if the next version of windows is x64 only.

If you want to ease the transition then go for 7 Ultimate or Pro as it comes with XP Mode, a fully functioning XP desktop in a virtual machine, which is very cleverly intigrated with windows 7 giving a seemless effect to most programs.

Sleinous

Author Level
Firstly yes yes yes and yes, especially NOD, most programs have a 64 bit version already, some programs still use x86 because the x86 version still works on x64 systems.

The difference is quite simple, instead of Windows being able to utilise one core of the processor at ANY one given time (in split milliseconds or whatever you want to call them) it can now run two. Back in the day, a CPU even fi it was dual core, would just be using both cores but in turns, no 2 would be working at the exact same time I believe. Also, 64bit can make use of more than 3.5GB of RAM, or was it 4GB can't remember, anyway, handy.

Its probably best you ask Gorman for the ultra user friendly explanation, as he usually comes up with one of his analogies between the cup and the baguette that ate too much cheddar cheese or something. Ok maybe not that mad but you'll see ;)

All those games up there should also work btw :)

Gorman

Author Level
Firstly yes yes yes and yes, especially NOD, most programs have a 64 bit version already, some programs still use x86 because the x86 version still works on x64 systems.

The difference is quite simple, instead of Windows being able to utilise one core of the processor at ANY one given time (in split milliseconds or whatever you want to call them) it can now run two. Back in the day, a CPU even fi it was dual core, would just be using both cores but in turns, no 2 would be working at the exact same time I believe. Also, 64bit can make use of more than 3.5GB of RAM, or was it 4GB can't remember, anyway, handy.

Its probably best you ask Gorman for the ultra user friendly explanation, as he usually comes up with one of his analogies between the cup and the baguette that ate too much cheddar cheese or something. Ok maybe not that mad but you'll see ;)

All those games up there should also work btw :)

Erm um, ok. Hows this.

Imagine, if you will a cheese sandwich....

No im just kidding, x86 or 32 bit if you will is the old CPU architecture from long ago, im talking original pentium days since day dot basically. Then you have x64 which is the newer CPU architecture. x64 windows can take advantage of the features in x64 (every new cpu) and x86 cannot.

So in simple simple terms, with x86 you cant have more than 4Gb of ram and your programs are running on old outdated code. Threading etc is an entirely different issue which i wont go into.

Deklore

Bright Spark
Thanks for the prompt and very informative replies guys.
So just to confirm, most of the programs should have 64bit versions - which would mean they would work on win7...?
My previous (current) pc has AMD ATHLON 64BIT X2 3800 2 x 512K L2 Cache processor with XP Pro. So does this mean my current pc is already 64bit and i am asking an irrelevant question?

Sleinous

Author Level
Start, right click my computer, if it says Windows XP Professional x64 then its 64bit, anything else then its 32bit

Gorman

Author Level
Regardless of wether you are using XP x64 you will still need updated programs for 7.

They rewrote a lot of the kernal with security (UAC etc) in mind for Vista / 7 and programs that require root access to hardware wont work, such as Nero etc. This is why most people dont like Vista and why Windows is amongst the most secure platforms around nowadays.

Sleinous

Author Level
Regardless of wether you are using XP x64 you will still need updated programs for 7.

They rewrote a lot of the kernal with security (UAC etc) in mind for Vista / 7 and programs that require root access to hardware wont work, such as Nero etc. This is why most people dont like Vista and why Windows is amongst the most secure platforms around nowadays.

and I believe with most things like NOD32 its just a case of downloading off the website the 64bit version ye? Seems nowadays all you have to do is select your OS, whether its 64bit, and download. About 6 months back it was still a bit hazy all this 64bit stuff but I think its really taken off lately. Given that builders like Dell etc have started putting 64bit OS's on it must be :)

Gorman

Author Level
Vista x64 was when it started to kick off for gamers etc mainly due to 4gb+ ram. There was an XP x64 but it was a horrible joke, no drivers / software etc.

I was expecting 7 to be x64 only but they wimped out.

Sleinous

Author Level
Vista x64 was when it started to kick off for gamers etc mainly due to 4gb+ ram. There was an XP x64 but it was a horrible joke, no drivers / software etc.

I was expecting 7 to be x64 only but they wimped out.

Ye I tried the XP x64, was insanely hard to find teh drivers for my sony laptop, literally a living hell -.-

Deklore

Bright Spark
Thats really where my (limited) knowledge ends, basically just before the whole Vista thing started. (kinda reminded me of Windows ME). So havent really been keeping up to date with developments and been trying to catch up now.