Yet another problem with new PC

markyb

Seems like one problem after another at the moment. My most recent one is not being able to get windows update working. I click on windows update from the menu and after a long time of waiting a window pops up asking to check for updates, I click it and it says something along the lines of "windows update could not run because it is not turned on" - I've checked that the automatic updates are all turned on - i'm also concerned by the fact that the computer keeps randomly restarting - i'll click something and i get a grey screen and then it just restarts.. no error message or anything. when i log back in and check the reason why it says "blue screen" and then a load of jibberish. I couldn't install msn because it came up with the error "microsoft error reporting couldnt install" are all these things connected? does anyone have an idea as to whats going on??

Sleinous

Author Level
Msn not installing? Bsods? No windows update? Soundslike an utterly destroyed installation of windows to me. If you have a 2nd empty drive you could try installing windows on it then trying all the things that didnt work before. Alternatively you can call tech support on 0844 499 4000

Maestro

Can you let us know wether the pc came pre-installed or not. It does however, as sleinous said, sound like your os is screwed. Having read your other posts, I can safely say that you absolutely need to start over where the software is concerned. Please call us, so we can guide you through a complete re-install ensuring you are getting rid of everything else, putting on the correct drivers etc.

Last edited:

markyb

Looks like it was my RAM causing issues all along, I have 4 sticks in there 2GB each, took two of them out and i got tonnes of errors and crashes, the comp could barely function, so took them out and put the other ones in and it's been running like a dream ever since, Re-installed windows in hope of correcting the programes, windows update and everything else has been working without a hitch ever since. I've requested a replacement from PCS. However i'm a little dubious now about putting more RAM in it and messing things up! But it should be okay putting new Ram in now?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Once you replace the memory with the new RAM it should be absolutely fine - nothing to worry about here. Glad the problem is now almost fixed. :)