You thought spec-ing a PC within budget was hard.....

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Some of you may know that I've had an inkling to get myself a Vinyl setup for a little while. I've been nipping @SpyderTracks ear on more than one occasion and on Monday I finally got the ball rolling properly.

I wanted to keep within the realms of sanity budget wise, I had planned a couple of hundred for the turntable, a hundred for accessories and a couple of hundred for actual vinyl.

Initially this was my shopping list:

Audio-Technica-AT-LP120XUSB Turntable - ITRO £250, a bit over but nothing crazy.
Cable Direct Paired RCAs x2 - ITRO £20
Some nice vinyl - £50 (Already bought)

This would see me started off nicely. I have a good surround sound system to get a good noise out of it all.

A few PMs later, it's onto this:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO - £450
Pro-Ject Carbon Phono Amp - £70

With the following also being considered:
Planar Rega 3 - £600
Ortofon Stylus 2M Blue - £140

I then get lucky and my decision is made with a purchase of the Pro-Ject Debut from Amazon Warehouse for £350... so it's a done deal......

Queue another few PMs......

The Debut Carbon is cancelled and this is then ordered....

Pro-Ject Debut PRO 30th Anniversary Edition - £700
Pro-Ject Phono Amp - £70
2x Chord C-Line Interconnects (RCA) - £80

4jpS6YeYrHWEXNZjYzatED-970-80.jpg

71vP1qf2dML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reading the reviews it covers all the bases. It's a quality bit of kit that ticks every single box I could ever want. It doesn't really have limitations and it has lots of room to grow. Yes, it's way more than I had initially planned and set out to spend.... but isn't that always the way of things on this forum? I know I won't regret it and it will end up paying dividends when I start getting silly with my tinkering.

It shows the type of forum members we have/are though. Us regulars are all enthusiasts in general, and passionate about the things that we enjoy. Can't be letting me doing anything by half afterall. Can't thank @SpyderTracks enough for his help during all this and he's even gone out his way to sort me out with my very first hoard of prime Vinyl.

Add to that the fact that I've just received a text message from DPD stating that my shipment will be getting delivered tomorrow I am one excited, but skint, guy!

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Looks like the box of records hasn't been collected yet by dpd, should be this afternoon.

We're you out all night ;)

It's actually my porch, rather than conservatory. I leave it open for deliveries etc.. Got CCTV & a Ring doorbell so hoping that all will be fine. Had a chat with the delivery driver over the ring so I'll be watching my door like a hawk now haha :LOL:

Tonight is date night..... and the reason I can't really take any time to get it up and running. Tomorrow will likely be an all nighter playing with it though. Perks of a detached :LOL:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Alas it's a bittersweet day.

I received an amazing box of goodies from our very own @SpyderTracks. Quickly opened up for a quick peek and then set to work setting up the turntable.

It was fairly straight forward to initially set up, the proper tune will come later. Plugged everything in and............ only 1 channel working. Didn't take long to find the culprit being the phono stage.

So..... I can listen to my epic start-up record set but unfortunately I cannot experience the joy fully. With that being the case, it's just going to sit there and wait till I can enjoy it fully.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Alas it's a bittersweet day.

I received an amazing box of goodies from our very own @SpyderTracks. Quickly opened up for a quick peek and then set to work setting up the turntable.

It was fairly straight forward to initially set up, the proper tune will come later. Plugged everything in and............ only 1 channel working. Didn't take long to find the culprit being the phono stage.

So..... I can listen to my epic start-up record set but unfortunately I cannot experience the joy fully. With that being the case, it's just going to sit there and wait till I can enjoy it fully.
That's such a shame on the phono stage, but hopefully you can get a replacement soon.

Really pleased the records arrived intact, and hoping you get to belt them out sooner rather than later!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
In better news the sound of the guitar in Big Love is just incredible, that's only coming out one speaker too!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
In better news the sound of the guitar in Big Love is just incredible, that's only coming out one speaker too!
Thats the thing. I really didn't think my ears were sensitive enough to appreciate the difference, I couldn't tell any difference going from CD to MP3, but then again, I was listening on really chappy equipment back then.

I have my PC plugged into my amp although running from the standard soundcard DAC rather than a decent one, but comparing the MP3 or even FLAC output off that vs my vinyl setup, there's a definite difference.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Some of you may know that I've had an inkling to get myself a Vinyl setup for a little while. I've been nipping @SpyderTracks ear on more than one occasion and on Monday I finally got the ball rolling properly.

I wanted to keep within the realms of sanity budget wise, I had planned a couple of hundred for the turntable, a hundred for accessories and a couple of hundred for actual vinyl.

Initially this was my shopping list:

Audio-Technica-AT-LP120XUSB Turntable - ITRO £250, a bit over but nothing crazy.

This would see me started off nicely. I have a good surround sound system to get a good noise out of it all.

A few PMs later, it's onto this:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO - £450

With the following also being considered:
Planar Rega 3 - £600
Ortofon Stylus 2M Blue - £140

I then get lucky and my decision is made with a purchase of the Pro-Ject Debut from Amazon Warehouse for £350... so it's a done deal......

Queue another few PMs......

The Debut Carbon is cancelled and this is then ordered....

Pro-Ject Debut PRO 30th Anniversary Edition - £700
Pro-Ject Phono Amp - £70
2x Chord C-Line Interconnects (RCA) - £80

4jpS6YeYrHWEXNZjYzatED-970-80.jpg

71vP1qf2dML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reading the reviews it covers all the bases. It's a quality bit of kit that ticks every single box I could ever want. It doesn't really have limitations and it has lots of room to grow. Yes, it's way more than I had initially planned and set out to spend.... but isn't that always the way of things on this forum? I know I won't regret it and it will end up paying dividends when I start getting silly with my tinkering.

It shows the type of forum members we have/are though. Us regulars are all enthusiasts in general, and passionate about the things that we enjoy. Can't be letting me doing anything by half afterall. Can't thank @SpyderTracks enough for his help during all this and he's even gone out his way to sort me out with my very first hoard of prime Vinyl.

Add to that the fact that I've just received a text message from DPD stating that my shipment will be getting delivered tomorrow I am one excited, but skint, guy!

I’m sorry we can’t advise on self builds. I suggest you try Tom’s HiFi centre.

;)

I was never one to listen much to music when I was younger but did have a few vinyls and they’re probably still stuck in the attic. Sadly though I’m now restricted to listening with headphones as I’m more a classical piano type listener and wife’s tastes are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
So.... it finally happened!!

jHhinoV.jpg

JGrghBq.jpg

It's ALIVEEEE.... ahhhh it's allliiiveeeeee!!

Fleetwood Mac - Done
OK Computer - Completed it mate
INXS - one pint in
Appetite for Destruction - Pending 4.5 pints

So happy! :LOL:

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I think i have to say it again, but you guys (all the regulars here) are really nice people.
You really are generous (of time, supply, vinyl, etc)
And i think that why i'm continuing to stay here even avec i got my wonderfull laptop (thanks again @SpyderTracks :D)

So, to going back to the main topic, that's a pretty nice selection you gave him with really nice one (and some, i'd say i don't know them to not be judgemental :D)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I think i have to say it again, but you guys (all the regulars here) are really nice people.
You really are generous (of time, supply, vinyl, etc)
And i think that why i'm continuing to stay here even avec i got my wonderfull laptop (thanks again @SpyderTracks :D)

So, to going back to the main topic, that's a pretty nice selection you gave him with really nice one (and some, i'd say i don't know them to not be judgemental :D)
They were all my "spares", some of them were bought initially and then I upgraded to "audiophile" special pressings, some of them for some reason I just had multiple copies. They were all in a record box in the garage which never felt right for some good vinyl, I wasn't interested in selling them to randoms so having someone getting into vinyl it just made sense to offer them and luckily @Scott has a similar music taste to me.

Records need to be played, they are living souls and their purpose is to make sweet music!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
So managed to get a hold of the LPs from my Dad's house. Cracking little varied selection. Doubt any are worth anything but there are some proper memories in this bundle. Might even spot a couple of albums that I mentioned from my childhood previously in here.

XCuAfS4.jpg

Pz0ihsr.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So managed to get a hold of the LPs from my Dad's house. Cracking little varied selection. Doubt any are worth anything but there are some proper memories in this bundle. Might even spot a couple of albums that I mentioned from my childhood previously in here.

XCuAfS4.jpg

Pz0ihsr.jpg
Some awesome records there!

I'm not 100% sure bit check out that copy of Now that's what I call music 4, those are extremely collectable although I don't know what volumes they were pressed in, but that may well be worth a bit.