Zotac Firestorm Lighting Discussion

Aza

Rising Star
Well....the weekend came early.... I was bored this morning.
So I pulled the GPU out and decided to kill the little white light.

Now...i've never played with a GPU before, so after looking it over I figured i'd take the fan casing off so I could actually see what it looked like, rather than touching the metal plate the board itself was fixed too (right move as it turns out). Four little screw (very short little things, so unscrewed each until loose and then lifted casing with screws still sat in their channels so they were easier to pick out rather than trying to negotiate past the fans to get at them)
EfLpz9V.jpg

Inside, the little plastic coverslip that I thought was sat over an LED, was actually the whole LED as a little sealed unit, so to get the fan casing off properly (cos I didnt know what wires I was pulling) I unscrewed the two little fixing screws holding it in place which freed the casing up
fj2XCie.jpg

Two headers where the wire fed through to, a little gentle poking for a clear view showed me which one of the two it was
ADleZV8.jpg

Taped up the wire to the LED unit to reinsert it, didnt want anything loose that could move around inside, just in case.
eDJug0d.jpg

Screwed teh LED unit back into the casing, then fixed the casing back onto the GPU (popped the screws into their little holes before putting the casing in place to avoid having to negotiate with the fans again) Et Voila!
Vpw6sfe.jpg

Back in the computer, all working and no more white light.
aV8HcTb.jpg

Would of been far nicer if they had just enabled the card to let Firestorm switch it off and on but still...Job done :)

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well....the weekend came early.... I was bored this morning.
So I pulled the GPU out and decided to kill the little white light.

Now...i've never played with a GPU before, so after looking it over I figured i'd take the fan casing off so I could actually see what it looked like, rather than touching the metal plate the board itself was fixed too (right move as it turns out). Four little screw (very short little things, so unscrewed each until loose and then lifted casing with screws still sat in their channels so they were easier to pick out rather than trying to negotiate past the fans to get at them)
EfLpz9V.jpg

Inside, the little plastic coverslip that I thought was sat over an LED, was actually the whole LED as a little sealed unit, so to get the fan casing off properly (cos I didnt know what wires I was pulling) I unscrewed the two little fixing screws holding it in place which freed the casing up
fj2XCie.jpg

This meant I could have a closer look to then trace where the wires were going to, with two connections being the most suspect
5NmiulZ.jpg

And a little gentle poking for a clear view showed me which one of the two it was
ADleZV8.jpg

So I had two choices, just unplug it or actually remove it, and I intially decided to remove it completely, rather than having a loose wire kicking about near some fans (just in case)
c6JewBq.jpg

ETVeAgr.jpg

But then I decided I didnt like the big gap, and I could see the white connector that was previously hidden behind it, so took the casing off again and taped up the wire to the LED unit to reinsert it.
eDJug0d.jpg

Screwed it back into the fan casing
gYBoJD6.jpg

Then fixed the casing back onto the GPU again (popped the screws into their little holes before putting the casing in place to avoid having to negotiate with the fans again) Et Voila! One GPU back in one piece
Vpw6sfe.jpg

Now.... Obviously needed to go back in the computer, but all working and no annoying white light anymore!
aV8HcTb.jpg

Seen as I have most the RGB off or dimmed down most the time, its made quite a difference as before i'd have ZOTAC GAMING glaring at me no matter what I did, now it's lovely and discrete!
6aOextG.jpg

Would of been far nicer if they had just enabled the card to let Firestorm switch it off and on but still...Job done
Just for anyone reading, please don't do this while you're under warranty as it will invalidate it.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Before I sold mine, I used some tiny strips of spotlight filters/gels (i.e. high-temp coloured transparencies) left over from a short stint working in lighting at a theatre, to make a rainbow effect.

Took them off before I sold it though.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
That's a lot of work to just turn off the LED! Thankfully on the Zotac 3070 TI you can just set a static colour in Firestorm, and then change brightness to 0%, and LED goes dark.

Aza

Rising Star
Before I sold mine, I used some tiny strips of spotlight filters/gels (i.e. high-temp coloured transparencies) left over from a short stint working in lighting at a theatre, to make a rainbow effect.

Took them off before I sold it though.
If I sell it on, its very easy to reverse what I've done, no sealing broken, nothing cut, I can simply plug it back in and no-one would know any different (if it werent for the above photos :p ). I wouldnt of done it at all without having been given a little encouragement either

Just for anyone reading, please don't do this while you're under warranty as it will invalidate it.
I had already said that in an earlier post as part of the conversation with Scott

That's a lot of work to just turn off the LED! Thankfully on the Zotac 3070 TI you can just set a static colour in Firestorm, and then change brightness to 0%, and LED goes dark.
If i'd had known which connection was the light beforehand I could easily just have popped up the connector without taking anything apart.
To be fair, it took longer to take all the photos and upload them and write the post, actual job itself was all of five minutes.