Apple AI push

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So, don’t know if anyone watched the new iPad Pro M4 announcement, but they must have forced “AI” down our throats about 20 times!!!

As we all know, Siri never took off, it was always clunky, and just never got the adoption required for it to learn quickly enough to remain even remotely competitive.

So we knew they were working on something to announce at WWDC in June, that will likely be in the IOS 18 update and next MacOS versions in September / October

Everyone thought they’d be announcing their own in house new AI to replace Siri on existing devices.

Well today, low and behold, it looks like they’re just about to announce a partnership with OpenAI, so looks like the upcoming Siri successor will be ChatGPT based, and pretty much exactly the same time, OpenAi announce a new voice assistant

I just hope this isn’t reliant on M4 and later as particularly for the HomePod, it will basically kill them off entirely. Hopefully the Siri stack on IOS can just be redirected to the new voice assistant in an update for existing hardware.

But it’s certainly good news, for AppleTV and HomePods especially I think, and any HomeKit device control.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Jesus, just watched a couple of the demos, this is actually frightening how natural and fluent this is!

There’s a couple of demo videos on the home page, it can react based on your surroundings over camera, background noise, and just listen to how natural the voice is, especially with how it laughs and the tonality of the voice when posing a question!

Christ!

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
My M4 iPad Pro is due on Wednesday…as a replacement for a 5 year old iPad Air (A12 CPU).

Only upgrading as I think some of the apps I’m using want more than the 3GB RAM, as they‘re starting to randomly crash.

AI assistants on devices are something I can do without at the moment…the only AI tools I use are cloud-based for image generation or background fills in Photoshop.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My M4 iPad Pro is due on Wednesday…as a replacement for a 5 year old iPad Air (A12 CPU).

Only upgrading as I think some of the apps I’m using want more than the 3GB RAM, as they‘re starting to randomly crash.

AI assistants on devices are something I can do without at the moment…the only AI tools I use are cloud-based for image generation or background fills in Photoshop.
I’ve ordered the upcoming M2 iPad Air, replacing a 2017 iPad Pro, just don’t require the pro features anymore, not that I ever did.

I agree, the only areas I appreciate voice assistants is smart speakers, I’d welcome it on the AppleTV, and for smart home stuff (which I currently don’t have). Have never used it on phones or tablets, typing is just as quick.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
apples config - upgrade your ram - 16 gig - 500 dollars
32 gig - 1000 dollars
WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE AI AHHHHH - 1500 dollars
64 gig - 2000 dollars

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
apples config - upgrade your ram - 16 gig - 500 dollars
32 gig - 1000 dollars
WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE AI AHHHHH - 1500 dollars
64 gig - 2000 dollars
Has the exchange rate got that bad? I thought it was only $200 dollars per tiny upgrade.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
homer didnt think that joke through
Buying Apple upgrades nowadays is like going to your favourite ‘lady dance club’ and raining dollars like you’re in Vegas.

It used to be much easier…you just paid monthly…3 month’s salary for the computer, 1 month’s salary for the FPU, and 3 month’s salary for the 20mb HDD 😁

Luckily all my early Mac purchases (pre 1994) were on the company’s bill. My first ‘owned’ Mac was a Quadra 660AV.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Buying Apple upgrades nowadays is like going to your favourite ‘lady dance club’ and raining dollars like you’re in Vegas.

It used to be much easier…you just paid monthly…3 month’s salary for the computer, 1 month’s salary for the FPU, and 3 month’s salary for the 20mb HDD 😁
Then you’ve got an annual bill for AppleCare which is a ginormous rip off, 10% of the new iPad Pro, that’s insane

Its just under 8% on my MacBook Pro

I don’t bother anymore with AppleCare, I believe I can hack the matrix. I have the iFixit toolkit and a dash of delusion to see me forwards

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
BTW, if anyone's considering going to the 'light side' and have Costco membership...they're doing quite a good deal on 16GB/1TB M1 iMacs (£999 after discount).

That's almost £600 worth of RAM/storage upgrades for free ;)