17.3" RECOIL III RTX or 15.6" PROTEUS VI RTX

Ed Templer

So i currently have a Desktop i work from with an i7 6700k and a GTX 1080 - i'm seeking a laptop as a suitable mobile replacement so i'm not anchored to my desk.

my job requires daily video editing, often with 4k footage in the mix, but in a 1080p sequence, but i also want to play video games on the laptop.

I'd be getting these both fully specced out and with the 3 day fast track and insurances etc, but i'm not certain which to go for.

I have a budget of about £2000, obviously spending less would be ideal, but i want to make sure i'm getting the best bang for my buck.

Also - can anybody tell me if having a 17 inch laptop would hinder mobility at all? I have only ever experienced 15 inch laptops in the past!

Sorry for the braindump and bombardment of questions - but considering the money i'm about to spunk i want to make sure i have an informed decision.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The Proteus packs in more performance per £, with an RTX 2070 for the same kind of price as the Recoil offers an RTX 2060. However, the Recoil has a larger screen, and is also apparently more than half a kilo lighter. Plus a few other features too I think, you can compare the chassis details.

Depending on your video editing work, the 2060 might not offer a great deal more performance over a 2060. Or it might... Either is solid for gaming.

Ed Templer

to be fair, i think video editing is the main priority, with capable gaming definitely being secondary.

I'm struggling to find many benchmarks for video editing with the 2070 vs the 2060, so i can't be certain if its a massive dip in quality or not!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It depends what you're doing with the footage and what software you use.

As you can see from this comparison of high end desktop GPUs:

There's not necessarily a great deal of difference. A 2080 ti is vastly more powerful than a 1070, but the difference isn't huge.

I'm not a video editor so I can't advise in more detail, other than saying where benchmarks might show X difference between GPUs, video editing uses could only be a fraction of that.

Also note that there has been a chassis refresh. So there are options like the Vortex that is 15.6", lighter than a proteus, and also has Nvidia Gsync. It's more expensive than the 17.3" Recoil, though not too much more.

Also you didn't mention the 15.6" Recoil III RTX which is a little cheaper than the Proteus (RTX 2060 vs RTX 2070), and is a kilo lighter

Ed Templer

So i use the Adobe suite for everything - Premiere Pro, After Effects and Photoshop being the main focus.

The Recoil III you discussed only has a 2070 Max Q configuration which im trying to avoid like the plague - i just want a regular 2070 for the laptop!

I think basically my decision is almost coming down to is it worth having a 17" for portability.

I think im also concerned about the 8750H and its thermal problems, but i guess some heat issues is par for the course.

the footage i edit is mostly for youtube clients - so im not having to export ProRes files or anything most of the time, just H264 video etc - but i dont want to run into any issues whilst editing with it.