Bit of a start up question

Nkumbay

Hellos,

I recently purchased the Vortex 1000 from your pre-configured gaming PC range and have run into a lil problem when trying to start it up. The system seems to get to the "Starting Windows" screen and then hang up for a little while, after that it proceeds to turn itself off. This seems to also happen when attempting to install a fresh version of Windows 7 with the CD given to me.

I was told to try with the side panel off but the same thing happened again. After a some googling, some people say it might be a BIOS problem but I'm not quite sure how exactly to access it with this PC, if it's worth anything I don't hear any beeps when the PC boots up.

Any help would be highly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read all this.

Gorman

Author Level
Hi Nkumbay,

Is it a blue screen or dos it just power off?

Is there any sign of damage in transit when you look inside? CPU fan on straight etc?

Gorman

Author Level
If im looking at the right order you have a titan fenrir cpu cooler, its held on by 4 thumb screws, are they finger tight?

steveuk87

Super Star
tap the DEL button when the system starts to get into BIOS.. see if you can get into it.. has the PC ever started up or did it arrive with this problem?

Steve

Nkumbay

That is correct, I was able to get my finger round two out of (I'm assuming) four screws where one was a little bit loose. However, tightening it hasn't seemed to yield any better results.

tap the DEL button when the system starts to get into BIOS.. see if you can get into it.. has the PC ever started up or did it arrive with this problem?

Steve

It arrived with this problem, ah DEL has seemed to have gotten me into the BIOS screen.

Also @Gorman:
Sorry, didn't notice you already mention it having 4 screws.

Last edited:

steveuk87

Super Star
so you can get into bios then... does everything look right at first? try going into system config and what does it say? can you see if it identifies your HDD?

Steve

Gorman

Author Level
If im going on instinct the way its cutting out suggests to me that its overheating due to the cooler coming loose or something. This really is a call centre job im afraid, at the worst possible time too as the lines arnt open until monday :(

Nkumbay

BIOS seems to be ok I guess, it picks up my HD and my CD-ROM drives which are all I ordered. PC doesn't seem to turn itself off until I actually start to try and get into Windows.

If im going on instinct the way its cutting out suggests to me that its overheating due to the cooler coming loose or something. This really is a call centre job im afraid, at the worst possible time too as the lines arnt open until monday :(

Ahh that's a shame, I suspected that was the problem too but I'm not much of a PC-whizz, haha. I appreciate your help, I'll give them a call when I can.

Gorman

Author Level
hmmm. ive seen worse.

Whats throwing me here is you say it does the same when you attempt to reinstall, so it cant be software / drivers.

Does the graphics card have the pci power connected etc? any chance of a photo of the internals?

Also if you hammer F8 straight after the post / bios screens can you boot into safe mode?

Nkumbay

@Gorman:

The graphics card seems to have two power sources connected to it. I'm able to get into safemode but I am prompted by a message saying "Windows cannot complete installation in safe mode" and then asked to restart.

I'll work on getting some photos for you.

@Steve

I don't get any BSoD just a clean shutdown.

Gorman

Author Level
@Gorman:

The graphics card seems to have two power sources connected to it. I'm able to get into safemode but I am prompted by a message saying "Windows cannot complete installation in safe mode" and then asked to restart.

I'll work on getting some photos for you.

@Steve

I don't get any BSoD just a clean shutdown.

Right, thats something at least. So im going to presume that windows is corrupt for whatever reason and the Out of box experience part of the install has gone wrong.

We need to concentrate on getting windows reinstalled then.

Put in the CD and hammer f8 as soon as you turn it on, all the way through post. You should be presented with boot options.

Select the optical drive and press any key as soon as you see the prompt to boot from cd. It will only last a second or two. Let me know when / if you get that far

steveuk87

Super Star
ok, try booting from the disk, format the HDD and try re-installing, i know you may have done this already, but just make sure it's fully formatted...

Steve

steveuk87

Super Star
Gorman SNAP!!!

Right ok, when you go to the install screen. Format the HDD. Then put the drivers CD in and install the drivers for your windows version, then put the windows cd back in and press F5.. then continue to install :)

Steve

Nkumbay

@Gorman:

I'm able to get to the boot device screen so I picked CD and was given two options, to install Windows 7 or run a Diagnostic tool. Unforutnately after the CD had "loaded some files" I was back at the Starting Windows screen and the PC shut down again after a while.

@Steven

I do have a Boot CD however if I remember correctly, formatting takes a few hours so I'll leave that option till the very end if possible.

steveuk87

Super Star
well it only takes a few hours if theres alot to format if its a fresh system it'll take no time at all

Steve

Gorman

Author Level
Quick formats erase the drives FAT or index and can be done in a matter of seconds.

From what i have heard i believe there is an unknown hardware error here and installing windows again will be either impossible and or a waste of time. It needs to be booked in with us im afraid or at very least a conversation with our call centre guys so they can run over all possibilities.