Crashes when gaming - GPU?

Niem

Enthusiast
Hey guys. Since last night I've been having problems when trying to play Watch Dogs. Managed to play it for about an hour when suddenly my monitor displays no signal and my GPU fans go to full speed. I can't do anything even though everything is still running so have to power off my PC. Weird as everything has been working fine until now. Been playing Wolfenstein for the past week. Any help would be appreciated. My specs are in my sig below.

steaky360

There's every chance it was watch dogs that caused the issue rather than some hardware/driver problem... Has it happened with anything else other than watch dogs?

Hopefully it'll get updated soon :)

Niem

Enthusiast
I've just booted up Wolfenstein and the same thing happened, game ran until I pressed continue and then my monitor shuts off to standby mode and fan goes full speed and I have to manually reboot. I suppose it's worth trying reverting to the last GeForce driver and see if that changes anything. My temps seem normal too. Didn't go above 75 when playing Watch Dogs last night.

steaky360

I know when I was trying to play watchdogs at 4K resolution it would crash the NVidia drivers each time I tried to boot the game. But when playing at 1080p it would run ok. Trying the older drivers could end up causing more problems (they have just released new ones 337.88 I believe.

Niem

Enthusiast
Even when playing on high settings 1080p it'd still crash. I'm beginning to think my 780 is failing.

steaky360

Even when playing on high settings 1080p it'd still crash. I'm beginning to think my 780 is failing.

Possibly, but try some other games first see if its causing the same errors - If you can run a benchmark program also, that will help narrow down if its a game or the card.

Niem

Enthusiast
Ran Prime95 and the CPU temps went upto 90 degrees.
Ran Furmark and tried to start the benchmark but my monitor just went into standby and no signal. Had to hard reboot again.

Niem

Enthusiast
It's just done it again but this time when I wasn't even launching a game, just browsing the web. Monitor suddenly went blank and no signal, fans and everything still running but had to press power off.

Niem

Enthusiast
Best get in touch with PCS - somethings definitely not right!

Uninstalled the latest GeForce driver and downloaded and installed the older driver and everything seems to be ok so far. Can run both Watch Dogs and Wolfenstein.

A314159

Super Star
Weird.... I haven't bothered to get the new GeForce drivers for my Lenovo laptop.... It's possible they're buggy.

T

TheGeeza

I had some problems with the recent drivers too.
With my normal overclock all my games running sub 30 unless I changed the speeds to default.