Graphics card - auto fan speed too slow

Karnor00

Bright Spark
I've just got a new PC with dual 7970 cards in it - the problem I have is that with the standard settings the GPU gets very hot when running games (WoW and Witcher 2 so far) - it gets up to 80+C and generally crashes thereafter.

The problem seems to be that with the fans set to auto the Catalyst Control Centre never seems to drive the fans beyond about 30% of max which just isn't enough. If I manually set the fans to 40-45% then the problem goes away (GPU temps then drop down to about 70%). It's just a little inconvenient to have to do this.

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the auto settings for the fans? Surely the auto setting ought to push the fans hard enough to prevent the card from overheating?

Karnor00

Bright Spark
It's definitely set to automatic - it varies between 20% and 30% speed, but the software doesn't seem to increase it beyond that speed.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
interesting, im not familiar with the AMD centre as i have nVidia, you will have to wait for someone with experience for AMD

Karnor00

Bright Spark
I don't know if there is some kind of interative learning curve in the software or something, but it seems to have magically fixed itself! The auto fans are now working hard enough to keep the card properly cool :)