Graphics card crash

Timbercottage

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys,

Over the last few months my PC has been doing this more and more frequently.

1328739843987.jpg

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Specs for PC are below.

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
Looks like corruption on the GPU matey :( does it only happen in games, and how long does it take before it kicks in?

Teaz

Godlike
If I remembered correctly, this is a cause of a break down for the gpu. Phone up pcs to sort out this matter further. They should be able to sort out a solution or most likely, a replacement.

Edit: Slow on the replies, so adding to Jak's comment.

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
Can be caused by overheating too, make aure GPU not covered in dust, I'm having a forum evening :)

Teaz

Godlike
possibly, though I don't think it may be overheating issues in this cold weather. Just my guess.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
could be gaming in an overly warm room, with a missus that demands the heating be on.......sounds a bit erm familiar.....lol.

Timbercottage

Bronze Level Poster
Wow, thanks for all the speedy replies :)

It only happens in games and the time it takes to kick in depends on the game I'm playing, Skyrim only took a matter of minutes in this occasion, TOR for example can take hours. Afterburner has my GPU temp constantly above 90 so overheating sounds likely. I'll take the pc apart tomorrow and give it a proper clean, see if that'll help, I'll be back with an update then!

Cheers!
Dave.

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
Afterburner has my GPU temp constantly above 90 so overheating sounds likely.

Damn I'm good, totally made accidentally smashing that glass of coke on the floor whilst grabbing my laptop worth it... *shuffles off to get dustpan and brush*

Let us know how you get on matey, best way to dig the dust out of the fan is to use a long bristled brush, preferably soft, or some compressed air.

Timbercottage

Bronze Level Poster
Well, my de-dusting of the card certainly worked for a little while but the same problems have started to reappear, must be do to with the gorgeous weather we're having.

This time however I plucked up enough courage to remove the heat sink from the card to give it a thorough clean and apply some fresh thermal paste, the old paste just crumbled off like dust. There's my problem! Applied some fresh and I'll see how it behaves, hopefully I'll see some improvements from the 98C load temps I was getting previously!