I really want to purchase a Samsung G9 Neo 57 inch for work - is my computer good enough?

icemansean

Hi everyone, I've been eyeing up the Samsung G9 Neo 57 inch for some time as I'd love to be able to view 3 applications side by side. I currently have a DELL Optiplex 3070:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9500 CPU @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
Installed RAM 24.0 GB (23.8 GB usable)
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630

From the base model I've installed extra RAM an an SSD and it runs my current processes absolutely fine - Comms, excel sheets, meetings, just usual productivity stuff, however I'm currently using a 24 inch Acer monitor and I'm wondering if I need to upgrade my pc to run the G9. I'm not planning on using it for gaming but I really like the idea of a 57 inch screen. Is it maybe overkill? Would the 49 inch version be less demanding on GPU? If I upgraded my GPU would I need a cooling system too?

I really appreciate any advice.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi everyone, I've been eyeing up the Samsung G9 Neo 57 inch for some time as I'd love to be able to view 3 applications side by side. I currently have a DELL Optiplex 3070:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9500 CPU @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
Installed RAM 24.0 GB (23.8 GB usable)
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630

From the base model I've installed extra RAM an an SSD and it runs my current processes absolutely fine - Comms, excel sheets, meetings, just usual productivity stuff, however I'm currently using a 24 inch Acer monitor and I'm wondering if I need to upgrade my pc to run the G9. I'm not planning on using it for gaming but I really like the idea of a 57 inch screen. Is it maybe overkill? Would the 49 inch version be less demanding on GPU? If I upgraded my GPU would I need a cooling system too?

I really appreciate any advice.
Your uses are simply graphics output, there's zero graphics processing. CPU graphics would handle ultra wide or 4k graphics output fine.

The G9 series are gaming monitors which your uses aren't going to benefit in any way from, I mean literally all you'd be doing is basic video out, no actual graphical processing at all, so almost all the features of the G9 are not going to be used. You'd be paying about £1000 over what you need to without ever getting the benefits.

You can get superwides that aren't such high specs such as

But also be aware that for productivity, superwide is actually a lower resolution than a 4k screen, you can actually fit 4 1080p screens snapped to each corner of a 4k monitor, whereas Superwide you're more limited.

There are far better productivity focussed 4k options out there which would cost substantially less, although the panels are equal quality

icemansean

This is amazing advice, thank you so much, I really appreciate your help. Some food for thought there for sure, Definitely going to reconsider my shopping list!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is amazing advice, thank you so much, I really appreciate your help. Some food for thought there for sure, Definitely going to reconsider my shopping list!
Also, worth being aware, it's Black Friday on 24th November, there will unquestionably be some excellent deals on monitors because they're releasing a host of new OLED monitors in January at CES and they'll want to clear stocks.

it's definitely the best time to get a monitor. Every year the deals are crazy.