Install Sequence for OS?

pez

Ladies and Gents.

I plan on installing both Win7 Ultimate 64bit and Ubuntu 10.10.

I've assumed that it should be windows first, as it gets temperamental with the duel boot load otherwise. Is this the case, or should it be the other way around?

Cheers
Matt

misterdave

Enthusiast
Hi Pez,

I always do windows first as its safer, grub and lilo are happy to boot windows. I've never tested the other way as I'd hate to think what would happen if it failed.

Good choice on the linux front. Ubuntu man myself minus the gui

pez

Cheers Meds/Dave.

I haven't used nix in YEARS! - so thought I'd have a crack. The general feeling on the interwebs was the gui and ease of use of Ubuntu was very high, and arguably one of the most stable and well supported :)

Got my windows disc next to me ready to install as soon as Mr Courier turns up this morning.

Matt

JSG10

Expert
I'm curious as to what Ubuntu and other mac type OS are good for? I've never used them before myself and only very briefly had a play with a friends MacBook Pro which for the most part I just messed about on the rather intuitive mousepad.
Am I missing a trick with these OS? Or is it a case of if you're asking you don't need it?

misterdave

Enthusiast
I'm curious as to what Ubuntu and other mac type OS are good for? I've never used them before myself and only very briefly had a play with a friends MacBook Pro which for the most part I just messed about on the rather intuitive mousepad.
Am I missing a trick with these OS? Or is it a case of if you're asking you don't need it?

Kinda hit the nail on the head.

For me its a cheap and easy way to file share massive amounts of data without the need for Microsoft licensing, run automated backups to server storage. People argue that windows can it it and that is true, but for a cost. My main server (Ubuntu Server 9.04LTS) runs 24/7 on old hardware backsup my windows back up on a weekly basis syncs various media folders and is home to my photo and video libraries, website & MySql development server and the OS cost me nothing.

Linux is great but very different, sadly there are tomany short comings in the linux world to make it a useful main stream OS. It will get there one day but as its OpenSource it will take time.

I will continue to use Linux and Windows.

pengipete

Rising Star

It all boils down to what you want to do with your PC. Most people want to switch on and surf the internet, use a few apps and play a few games - they really couldn't care less how it all happens any more than they care who made the glass they drink their beer out of.

Some people get at least some of their fun from the computer itself - they like to tweak and fiddle with the hardware and operating system just for the sake of it - and some people have issues with the dominance of Microsoft's operating systems. Whatever their motives, Linux users - including those who also use Windows - seem to have a more personal connection with their systems than the average Windows only user. That's intriguing and enticing.

The good news is that you can try Ubuntu without installing it to your system disk - it will run from a USB stick or DVD - so you don't have to risk your existing Windows installation if you fancy giving it a whirl. It's also free - though I'm sure donations would be gratefully received (and well earned in most cases).