Intel ARC Dedicated GPU's

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So you may not have heard but Intel are actually working on some consumer gaming Dedicated GPU's.

They have a new range called the ARC and have even got a couple of models out in the world in some places in the world

We haven't mentioned anything yet as the release has been quite frankly a disaster mainly due to their drivers being unworkable and leading to really poor performance. There have also been some crazy stories floating around that Intel were going to pull out entirely and drop the project, but I think that's now been put to bed.

But really, any first gen product at this level is going to be spotty on release, it needs real world feedback to work out the initial bugs.

But obviously any competition in this area is a really good thing for us as consumers as it pushes competitors to innovate more, and hopefully reduces costs across the board also

The ARC A380 is the top tier GPU.

I've tried to get latest reports and videos as there has been so much back and forth over this.

I'm just going to post everything as there's probably truth in all of it as well as chinese whispers.

Last edited:

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
A380 is their entry level GPU. The announced but not released A750 and A770 are higher spec. But still not close to challenging Nvidia or AMD it seems.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
From all the reviews I've seen, the A380 is abysmal!

You'd be better off sticking to an iGPU or an etch-a-sketch!

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
In some ways it's understandable that your first generation is not on the same level as your competitors, and it might take a period to get driver stability, processed improvements, etc. But on the other hand, this is Intel, it's not like they don't have a massive pool of talent, facilities and money. I'd have expected the gap to be closer, and while not challenging at say the 3080/3090 level, at least have viable options in the 3050 to 3070 space.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Intel have now missed the window for their stated A770 GPU which was initially Q1, then Q2, then by the end of the summer.

Apparently, leaks are that there is a review embargo being lifted on 05/10 so it may only be a couple of weeks away.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It would have been nice to get a 3rd player in the market that challenged AMD/Nvidia but at the moment Intel look way off.
I really hope they do make it to market a d the rumours that they're abandoning the GPU development are false.

I don't think anyones imagining they'll come out threatening the others straight away but if they could offer some value at the budget 1080p range that in itself would be amazing.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Some details of the A770 coming in (Intels top end GPU), I'm not sure when the NDA's are lifted and reviews can be released.

These are coming to market at $349 roughly competing with the RTX 3060 and RX6650XT (so High End 1080p really, perhaps entry level 1440p)

BUT it requires a really modern platform, it REQUIRES Resizeable BAR (Intel) / Smart Access Memory (AMD) enabled on the motherboard and OS which basically means 10th Gen Intel and newer or Ryzen 500 series boards (B550 or X570) and newer. Without that, the performance is just going to be dreadful.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There's a tear down video here from Gamers Nexus (god bless them)

For any of you modders out there, certainly with NVidia for a few generations now, it's been popular to buy the founders edition cards (much cheaper than aftermarket) and mod them with custom coolers from the likes of EVGA (god rest their souls) and Alphacool.

Now, we have to remain focussed that this is Intels first generation, so things are going to be a mish mash to keep cost as low as possible.

So although the build quality looks really rather poor, this is a mid tier card at best and so it wouldn't be justified to expect insane customisation options in the build design at this stage.