one month old PC randomly turned off

Hitchcock

Hey folks,

I bought a PC from here about a month ago, it's been running flawlessly until last night while playing Cyberpunk 2077. It suddenly turned off. Below I've included a list of things that happened when trying to turn it back on several times:

- PC would turn on but shut off after 5 minutes of use
- Left the PC off for about 45 mins then turned it back on but shut off after 15 minutes of use
- On one attempt, the PC wouldn't turn on at all until I turned off the power supply switch at the back then turned it back on

Now, at first I assumed it was a power supply issue but I'm starting to have doubts because I turned it on this morning and has been working fine for the last few hours.

I'm thinking it could be an overheating issue but I've been using the PC for Unreal Engine work for long hours, everyday and have never encountered this problem before. Also I don't see how this could be the problem when I was playing Cyberpunk earlier this week and didn't have any problems then. Any ideas?

Please see below for PC specs:

- AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24 Core CPU
- ASUS® ROG STRIX TRX40-E GAMING
- 64GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz
- 24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090
- 2TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s
- CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

- Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
- ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
- 3x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120 ARGB

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you can get it to stay on long enough to measure the temperatures that would help. It sounds like overheating but we can't know without seeing the temps, both at idle and under heavy load.

Hitchcock

It's still on for now, which temps should I be checking? GPU and CPU? What would be the best way to check those? Or doesn't really matter as long as you have software that can monitor the temps?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I’m inclined to agree with @ubuysa, especially when I see a threadripper paired with a fan cooler. Those babies really benefit from liquid cooling 👍

Check the CPU temperature for sure. HW monitor is a good free resource...

Hitchcock

I’m inclined to agree with @ubuysa, especially when I see a threadripper paired with a fan cooler. Those babies really benefit from liquid cooling 👍

Check the CPU temperature for sure. HW monitor is a good free resource...

Ah, I was hesitant going with liquid cooling. I sleep better at night knowing there isn't water inside my machine. Sounds silly I know but it would constantly worry me.

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep you posted on the temps.

Oronare

Are you using Precision Boost Overdrive or Auto OC? Turning PBO on in Ryzen Master or the BIOS causes mine to just shut down exactly as you describe, even requiring the power switch to be toggled before the case power button will work again.

Hitchcock

Are you using Precision Boost Overdrive or Auto OC? Turning PBO on in Ryzen Master or the BIOS causes mine to just shut down exactly as you describe, even requiring the power switch to be toggled before the case power button will work again.

Where do I find that in the Ryzen Master, is it under control mode? Mine is on default.

I haven't messed with any of those settings, left them as they are when I got the PC.

Hitchcock

Hey so I don’t think it’s an overheating issue, I hadn’t turned it on all day and when I did turn it on just now, it switched off.

Smurfette

Hey folks,

I bought a PC from here about a month ago, it's been running flawlessly until last night while playing Cyberpunk 2077. It suddenly turned off. Below I've included a list of things that happened when trying to turn it back on several times:

- PC would turn on but shut off after 5 minutes of use
- Left the PC off for about 45 mins then turned it back on but shut off after 15 minutes of use
- On one attempt, the PC wouldn't turn on at all until I turned off the power supply switch at the back then turned it back on

Now, at first I assumed it was a power supply issue but I'm starting to have doubts because I turned it on this morning and has been working fine for the last few hours.

I'm thinking it could be an overheating issue but I've been using the PC for Unreal Engine work for long hours, everyday and have never encountered this problem before. Also I don't see how this could be the problem when I was playing Cyberpunk earlier this week and didn't have any problems then. Any ideas?

Please see below for PC specs:

- AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24 Core CPU
- ASUS® ROG STRIX TRX40-E GAMING
- 64GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz
- 24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090
- 2TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s
- CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

- Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
- ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
- 3x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120 ARGB
The thing that jumps out to me here is the PSU.

I recently received my new PCS build (last week) with a similar spec to yours. The main differences with mine are that I went for the Threadripper 3970x, 128GB RAM and the Corsair 150i AIO cooler.

In my order details page, it estimates power consumption on my system at 940W, so I imagine yours will be similar. You have left yourself no headroom at all with a 1000W PSU, especially since they are never 100% efficient. I would not have gone with anything less than 1200W. Personally I went for the 1600W option, to be on the safe side and leave room for upgrades. The other thing that swung that decision for me was when Linus Tech Tips was reviewing the 3090 GPU and decided to run a couple in SLI mode. Their test system ended up shutting itself down in similar fashion to yours. Linus ended up swapping the PSU for the Corsair 1600i. Apparently the 3090 is a particularly power hungry beast.

I'm surprised the configurator did not flag that one up actually.

Hitchcock

The thing that jumps out to me here is the PSU.

I recently received my new PCS build (last week) with a similar spec to yours. The main differences with mine are that I went for the Threadripper 3970x, 128GB RAM and the Corsair 150i AIO cooler.

In my order details page, it estimates power consumption on my system at 940W, so I imagine yours will be similar. You have left yourself no headroom at all with a 1000W PSU, especially since they are never 100% efficient. I would not have gone with anything less than 1200W. Personally I went for the 1600W option, to be on the safe side and leave room for upgrades. The other thing that swung that decision for me was when Linus Tech Tips was reviewing the 3090 GPU and decided to run a couple in SLI mode. Their test system ended up shutting itself down in similar fashion to yours. Linus ended up swapping the PSU for the Corsair 1600i. Apparently the 3090 is a particularly power hungry beast.

I'm surprised the configurator did not flag that one up actually.

This would make the most sense, can you send me the link to the Linus vid? He's done quite a few on the 3090. I think the reason why it was never flagged was partly because in my order details, the power consumption came to around 860W if I remember correctly.

I also think the PSU isn't failing because the motherboard seems to light up.

I'll call PCS in the morning but last time I tried, there was a massive queue in front and was taking forever to move along hence the forum post.

Hitchcock

I spoke to them on the phone just now, it seems that power usage isn't the issue as the power consumption for the rig came to be about 740W and that the 1000W supply is plenty. The GPU would need to hit 100% usage for any power spikes and when playing something like Cyberpunk, it's barely making a scratch on the 3090, 15% usage, at best.

The guy I spoke to said it could just be an issue with the game causing the problems.

He even stress tested the GPU for 5 minutes, nothing happened, all seemed to be working fine.