Optimus V 13.3" fan rattling

dangro474

Bright Spark
Hi guys,

I am enjoying my Optimus V 13.3" but the fan ratting is driving me insane.

It occurs randomly but has become extremely loud when compared to the first instances of occurrence. It sounds like a clapped out old hard drive being read constantly.

A tap to the underside of the system or picking up the system and holding it vertically stops it temporarily but it always returns.

I'm at my wits end. I have had to RMA the system upon arrival and would prefer not to send it back again if i can help it.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem or will I have to RMA it?

Thank you.

Edit: Just to confirm this is not a complaint regaridng the fan table or noise resulting from high ran speeds, its an incredibly annoying rattling sound present regardless of fan speed.

- Dan

dangro474

Bright Spark
I've recorded the rattling with my blackberry (poor recording sorry)

http://www.gamefront.com/files/23683643/Clevo+W230ST+fan+rattle.avi
http://www.gamefront.com/files/23683645/Clevo+W230ST+fan+rattle+2.avi

My phone doesn't really capture how loud the rattling is from a distance. To give you an example of how piercing the sound is and how much background noise there usually is in my room, my desktop was on and I live by a motorway..

If anybody can advise me as to how to sort this out i'd really appreciate it.

Thank you

- Dan

Hi guys,

I am enjoying my Optimus V 13.3" but the fan ratting is driving me insane.

It occurs randomly but has become extremely loud when compared to the first instances of occurrence. It sounds like a clapped out old hard drive being read constantly.

A tap to the underside of the system or picking up the system and holding it vertically stops it temporarily but it always returns.

I'm at my wits end. I have had to RMA the system upon arrival and would prefer not to send it back again if i can help it.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem or will I have to RMA it?

Thank you.

Edit: Just to confirm this is not a complaint regaridng the fan table or noise resulting from high ran speeds, its an incredibly annoying rattling sound present regardless of fan speed.

- Dan

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I am enjoying my Optimus V 13.3"
You need to stop buying more laptops, can't catch up with you :(
Was the first RMA related to your current issue?

dangro474

Bright Spark
Hi Keynes,

My first RMA was due to the touchpad being faulty on arrival. Probably got knocked around in transit and had to be replaced.

I mentioned the fan rattling however I can only assume that PCS were unable to replicate it at the time hence did not replace any components. At the time it was more of a side note, as I used the system for a very brief period before coming to the conclusiont hat the touchpad PCB was DOA and RMAing the laptop.

It is passive, however at the moment it more or less occurs ALL the time. I really need to get this issue resolved :(

Check out the videos in my previous post, you will see what i mean.

- Dan

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Check out the videos in my previous post, you will see what i mean.
It is pretty annoying, sounds like something is stuck on the fan. I assume you check the fan inside, if you are holding it vertically and the noise stops it is probably something small making obstructing the fan.

dangro474

Bright Spark
I have checked for anything obstructing the fan but there are no tabs, cables or loose pieces of plastic anywhere near the fan.

I have tried spinning the fan freely and it does not touch the surround, however it does move up and down slightly, which causes an audible stratching sound.

edit: the frequency of clicks while rattling does not really increase or decrease depending on fan speed, it just rattles. a lot.

Last edited:

dangro474

Bright Spark
An interesting comment from somebody who seems to experience the same issue as me:

1. Its quiet when at idle / light use, however there is a bit of a ticking rattle that occasionally comes up (its like a PWM frequency harmonic is manifesting in the fan motor). Also the fan creates some vibration in the body of the laptop (ironically if I were using a mechanical HDD this would not be an issue as it would not be felt)

Source: http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo-sager-reviews-owners-lounges/4268-clevo-w230st-first-look.html

I don't suppose any other Optimus V 13.3" owners are experiencing this problem? :(

dangro474

Bright Spark
After some additional testing (something I should have tested earlier :( ), upon holding the system upright, manually lowering the fan slightly (simulating gravity) and spinning the fan, it is easy to hear a degree of scratching / rattling even with the large amount of background noise from my desktop and living next to a motorway.

I can only conclude that the fan in my chassis has been manufactured poorly? In which case, looking like RMA time :(

Pagey

Bright Spark
I'd advise against RMA'ing.

If you're pretty tech savvy and happy to open up the laptop, the fan should be easily replaceable, at least it is in my Optimus IV.

Just tell PCS that the fan is kaput and ask them to send you out a new one, I did that and got it pretty much next day.

steaky360

I'd advise against RMA'ing.

If you're pretty tech savvy and happy to open up the laptop, the fan should be easily replaceable, at least it is in my Optimus IV.

Just tell PCS that the fan is kaput and ask them to send you out a new one, I did that and got it pretty much next day.

I think you mean advise against sending the laptop back to PCS to fix the fan :) I'd entirely disagree that you should not RMA. Otherwise you'd need to buy your own replacement fan! :) Sorry to be nit picky, but I really think its worth pointing out that an RMA doesn't always mean you have to send the whole thing back.
Sorry again. :)

dangro474

Bright Spark
Thank you for the advice.

I would rather not remove and fit a new heatsync if I can help it, but I am not sure if the fan itself can simply be replaced while leaving the heatsync in place?

Pagey

Bright Spark
I think you mean advise against sending the laptop back to PCS to fix the fan :) I'd entirely disagree that you should not RMA. Otherwise you'd need to buy your own replacement fan! :) Sorry to be nit picky, but I really think its worth pointing out that an RMA doesn't always mean you have to send the whole thing back.
Sorry again. :)

No worries, that was my bad. To be honest all I did is say that the fan was rattling and i'd like a new one, without any arguing they sent me a new one. It's free as it's within it's 1YR warranty.