PSA - The issues with VRAM on modern games

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Although a good way to get people to force upgrade at a time when sales have dropped off a cliff. That's a conspiracy theorists opinion, but I certainly wouldn't put it past nVidia.

According to the latest Steam Survey though, the 3060 is the current most used card? That seems unlikely?

Probably mostly laptop 3060s, rather than desktop ones. It's a very common laptop GPU. It's also a cut-down version of the desktop chip, and it only has 6GB of VRAM.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Huh, that's a change to the Steam survey then! Only Ampere cards seem to be distinguished in this way. Thanks for correcting me.
I was suprised as well.
I do wonder though given the 3060 mobile is the same silicon as the 3060 desktop if the scanner may be getting confused and mis reporting some as desktop cards.

It just seems quite a major jump just over March, I'm very surprised if it is accurate

stegor

Bright Spark
I was suprised as well.
I do wonder though given the 3060 mobile is the same silicon as the 3060 desktop if the scanner may be getting confused and mis reporting some as desktop cards.

It just seems quite a major jump just over March, I'm very surprised if it is accurate
OK so I'll play devil's advocate. Both the 3060 and 2060 show big increases. Both have 12GB memory. Coincidence?

Edit: BTW I'm not saying that would be a good choice to make!

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
OK so I'll play devil's advocate. Both the 3060 and 2060 show big increases. Both have 12GB memory. Coincidence?

Edit: BTW I'm not saying that would be a good choice to make!
The 2060 had a 6GB and an 8GB model I believe not 12GB?

I think it's simply the 1060, 2060, 3060, 4060, 5060, 6060 will always be the popular price to performance Nvidia card and be the dominant card in sales numbers

Just seems like a gigantic jump for one months worth of data

I noticed most of the popular cards number has risen. The 1060 for example the previous most popular still rose by over 2.5% so it's crazy that it was over taken by the 3060 in such a short time

stegor

Bright Spark
The 2060 had a 6GB and an 8GB model I believe not 12GB?

I think it's simply the 1060, 2060, 3060, 4060, 5060, 6060 will always be the popular price to performance Nvidia card and be the dominant card in sales numbers

Just seems like a gigantic jump for one months worth of data

I noticed most of the popular cards number has risen. The 1060 for example the previous most popular still rose by over 2.5% so it's crazy that it was over taken by the 3060 in such a short time

You can buy a 12GB 2060 today on scan.co.uk.
But yeah, the data doesn't really look right.

stegor

Bright Spark
The 12GB 2060 was a ridiculous launch in 2021 mid-crypto boom to try to cash in. It's never been a good product for gaming as it was pretty much purely aimed at miners.

Especially as it was going for around £600-£700 at the time. It's £250 now so almost decent entry level given the still daft prices for later models.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Forza Horizons 3, 4 and 5...no clue about other games. FH3, especially, has been pretty much unplayable for some as it is creating a scenario where half the screen shows the game and the other half is just black or other strange display bugs. It seems to be across the spectrum from the XTX down. They will likely fix it fairly quickly, although it's been a few weeks already and FH3 and FH4 aren't "current" games so may not get fixed....however, I play a lot of FH so it plays a big part in my decisions
Unfortunately this is far more common with AMD cards. Although Lisa Su put a lot of money into their driver division recently so hopefully it improves.

But you have to bugfix a lot more often on AMD than NVidia

But a quick fix is just to roll back the driver

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Think I might see what FPS I get on Cyberpunk with the new path tracing update...watch this space.......

Cyberpunk_3080Ti.jpg

Last edited: