quick question

Zeplini

if you phone tomorrow then you can use the money to amend your order, usually it will be charged back to the card you used i think on bank transfers it maybe a cheque but im not 100% on that one jcuk, best to call

jcuk

Bronze Level Poster
Great, will do, oh and could you tell me the price difference between the ati 5870 and gtx480 on this site, sorry my phone internet aint all great, n wld i need a bigger psu, currently 600w if i changed to the gtx480?

Last edited:

Zeplini

Sorry jcuk i don't have access from to give you a price difference from home, but you should be fine with corsair 650 for 1 card

Sweeney47

Great, will do, oh and could you tell me the price difference between the ati 5870 and gtx480 on this site, sorry my phone internet aint all great, n wld i need a bigger psu, currently 600w if i changed to the gtx480?

just looked the 5870 is £133 cheaper than the gtx480

jcuk

Bronze Level Poster
Think its worth the extra for single card performance? Kinda in two minds whether to stick with the 5870 or get the 480 lol

Sweeney47

personally I don't think it is, GTX480 may be better in some games etc but from what I've seen its very marginal. Question is, is it worth it to you? :p

jcuk

Bronze Level Poster
Update on pc--pcs phoned me, got my dad so i phoned them back, there is a problem with my pc, regarding the cpu cooler, the fenrir one and the dominator ram, guy said that because the ram has cooling fins on them that there isnt space for both them to fit, so long story short i had to go with standard ram, still at 1600 but a bit slower and a bit cheaper, kinda dissapointed as im not sure if it will have a huge impact on performance and a bit confused as to why the order option doesnt tell u that dominator and fenrir wont fit together??

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Because there are thousands of combinations possible on our configurators, it's impossible to detect every possible issue which could occur. We are aware of the issue between Dominator RAM and the Fenrir CPU cooler on some motherboards and will be working on a solution next week.

Either way though - you would not have been able to have the configuration you originally ordered, apologies for the inconvenience.

steveuk87

Super Star
Update on pc--pcs phoned me, got my dad so i phoned them back, there is a problem with my pc, regarding the cpu cooler, the fenrir one and the dominator ram, guy said that because the ram has cooling fins on them that there isnt space for both them to fit, so long story short i had to go with standard ram, still at 1600 but a bit slower and a bit cheaper, kinda dissapointed as im not sure if it will have a huge impact on performance and a bit confused as to why the order option doesnt tell u that dominator and fenrir wont fit together??

tbh it will have an effect but it wont be noticeable, or not as much as you would think :) should still be awsome!!

Steve

Zeplini

steve is right the difference between ram mhz is not really noticeable, and will not drop overall performance by much and if the fenrir does not fit you could consider the cool-it eco water cooler :)

jcuk

Bronze Level Poster
Well as long as theres no noticable diffrence then i shud be ok lol, i read reviews on the water cooler, pretty mixed tbh, in terms of when cpu is underload it doesnt cool down to acceptable levels etc

Zeplini

Well as long as theres no noticable diffrence then i shud be ok lol, i read reviews on the water cooler, pretty mixed tbh, in terms of when cpu is underload it doesnt cool down to acceptable levels etc

its not like a stock water cooler and wont give the same performance but it is as good as high end air cooling, and you don't have to top it up ;)

jcuk

Bronze Level Poster
i fear the name of this thread is becoming increasingly deceptive...

haha yeah aint exactly a quick question anymore is it.. :)

mmm i wouldnt mind getting water cooling for the pc but im sticking to old fashioned air cooling, probably will get water cooling at some point in the future.

As for the memory, sorry for all these questions btw but its the biggest amount ive spent on anything besides a car lol and just want to make sure, put my mind at rest etc...ahem. as i wont be getting the dominator type memory i take it that it will just be samsung ddr3 1600mhz or will it be the 1333mhz?, guy on phone said it was the same speed as dominator but the only other memory i can see for amd systems is the samsung 1333mhz.

Zeplini

samsung is 1333 and is best run on auto settings depending on the mb you have, if its a duel channel board it can be tweaked, if its a triple channel then its best left on auto settings - but we have some kingston 1600 coming in mon/tue so that might be better, i will add the samsung is solid, it may not come with a heat sink and look nice but after 2 months of selling it i love the stuff

jcuk

Bronze Level Poster
samsung is 1333 and is best run on auto settings depending on the mb you have, if its a duel channel board it can be tweaked, if its a triple channel then its best left on auto settings - but we have some kingston 1600 coming in mon/tue so that might be better, i will add the samsung is solid, it may not come with a heat sink and look nice but after 2 months of selling it i love the stuff

Its a dual channel board, asus crosshair, im a very *if it looks good then it must be* kinda person, and after looking at the dominator pictures, big, bulky memory with big heat fins on it, then looking at the samsung, pretty basic memory and roughly the same price??.yet i cant help but think thats the kinda memory u get bundled with by a top spec pc from *comet* or *currys* lmao...not trying to be sarcastic in anyway

also to add guy said my pc would be going into testing on monday, could i still get the kingston memory or would i have to pay the extra charge because of the pc been built now?

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Looks can be deceiving. At the end of the day brands like Corsair, OCZ, etc simply go out into the marketplace and buy memory chips from Hynix, Samsung, Nanya, Micron, Elpida etc and solder them to their own PCB, cover them in a shiny heatsink and there's your brand name!

To get the faster chips, such as 1866MHZ, etc, they pick the fastest chips from a yield and use them. An original memory chip on an original PCB, i.e. Samsung on Samsung is the most stable memory you can purchase. Might not look great, but nothing beats it! :)

jcuk

Bronze Level Poster
Looks can be deceiving. At the end of the day brands like Corsair, OCZ, etc simply go out into the marketplace and buy memory chips from Hynix, Samsung, Nanya, Micron, Elpida etc and solder them to their own PCB, cover them in a shiny heatsink and there's your brand name!

To get the faster chips, such as 1866MHZ, etc, they pick the fastest chips from a yield and use them. An original memory chip on an original PCB, i.e. Samsung on Samsung is the most stable memory you can purchase. Might not look great, but nothing beats it! :)

right think i understand hahaha :) so why the slight difference in price? and looking at reviews etc samsung memory doesnt have latency? what does that mean?

god sounds like im paranoid haha

but on a personal note i just want to say thank you for answering my unending amount of questions quickly, wouldnt get this kinda service elsewhere!!