Sound Cards... what's the point?

LinearHD

Rising Star
So. As much as I might get flamed for this, I like dubstep, and I like the deep bass it produces out of a quality sound system. So, in combination with the Phillips SPA2602 5.1 Surround Sound speaker system, how much of a difference would it make between:
Onboard 6 Channel Sound
Soundblaster Audigy (£19)
and Soubdblaster Xi-Fi Xtreme Audio (£39)
I am willing to pay for either of the two upgrades, but I want to know if it will make a difference or not in the overall sound.

Fear

Prolific Poster
To be honest it all depends if you personally can tell the difference or if it bothers you, for me i like to have a soundcard as i notice a big difference in the sound quality i had the audigy in my last desktop and for £19 if you can spare it then i would reccomend it but everybody has their own opinion and most are happy with the onboard sound.

Tom DWC

I'm one of those that says you don't need a soundcard unless you're working at a professional level.

The top of the range soundcards can make a noticeable difference but only when coupled with high quality equipment.

The onboard audio is much better than it used to be and a budget soundcard offers little notable improvement.

Past issues with onboard audio (such as interference and resource usage) no longer exist.

LinearHD

Rising Star
Okay, now I'm not so sure about getting one... If in my rig I was to sacrifice the soundcard, I could upgrade the PSU to 850watt and replace the card reader... choices, choices :S

PokerFace

Banned
Okay, now I'm not so sure about getting one... If in my rig I was to sacrifice the soundcard, I could upgrade the PSU to 850watt and replace the card reader... choices, choices :S

Do you really NEED a card reader? From what I've read, most people connect camera etc direct via usb these days. I've got a card reader and never used it. As someone once said, it adds a bit of cost and is just extra holes to let dust in.

LinearHD

Rising Star
Well... do the card readers support SDHC? Coz they can be up to 1TB, and that could be useful... and also, the T900 case looks kinda ugly without it, theres just a little black flap that doesn't match the rest of the case...

Teaz

Godlike
It is supported.

Plus a card reader comes handy most days especially for people short on usb ports like myself. Plus usb isn't really dominating these days as i still know a large majority of people prefer working with the card reader than direct usb. You can't really go wrong or right with a card reader.