Worth buying laptop cooler?

lod193

I've just bought a nice shiny 17.3" Vortex III and was wondering if it would be worth investing in a cooler stand for it?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
if you are going to be using it for long periods of gaming or cpu intensive tasks, then I certainly would.

Also if you like to sit on the sofa with it on ya knee, i would, to ensure you don't block the intakes. ( I burnt out an old lappy due to being sat on the sofa. )

yak

Okay cheers for the speedy reply. Any recommendations on what to go for?

Unless you want to use it as a docking station, there is no need to go for anything too fancy.

I've got the Targus Lap Chill Mat which keeps the laptop nice and cool.

jayhar

100% yes use a laptop cooler! It can only do your laptop good and at the end of the day it could give your laptop a much longer life time. A laptop that costs £1000 that lasts 3 years is £333 a year, laptop that lasts 4 years is £250 a year. What's £30 for a cooler?

Finn

Enthusiast
6550.jpg

vs

nc2000-1.jpg

Personally I'd go for the 3000 (and i'm thinking about getting one myself) since it will push so much more air and it should line up whatever laptop and vent placement you are using at the time.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
I know youre not supposed to game on a laptop on your lap (ie on the sofa) but i often do when just chilling out with mates/family so my question would be how would the two suggested coolers work/feel when on your lap?

venomco

I suppose looks are subjective, all I can say is that I can vouch for the NC2000 - its beautifully made and fits the laptop chassis perfectly; as if it were made for the machine.

With regards to how it feels on one's lap, not great to be honest; when I'm sat on the sofa and fancy a game or two, I'll pop it on the cooler and a lap mat - thus bringing it to eye-level and ensuring comfort.

lod193

I've heard good things about the Logitech Lapdesk N700... Can any verify whether it's actually worth the extra money and whether it's any good for a 17" laptop?

dangro474

Bright Spark
You do not need a laptop cooler.

Unless you are smothing your vents in a room is over 30 degrees C in a country with horrendously dry air, your laptop will not overheat. If it does, it is obviously faulty.

If you would like to buy one regardless, the Zalman cooler mentioned earlier in this thread is excellent :p

Finn

Enthusiast
You do not need a laptop cooler.

One of the reasons I was considering one is that the vortex is reported to produce a fair bit of noise with the fans at full wack (eg when gaming) and a cooler can bring the overall noise level down by taking some of the load off the internal fans. I'm waiting until I actually have mine before deciding for myself if the noise is too intrusive or not.