Gta 5

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I'll be getting it a couple weekends after, I have exams that week and the next :(

But if you guys are still playing by then, don't forget about me

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I've not been a fan of GTA for many years (not sure i own one on PC), but all this chatter has slowly inched my mouse pointer towards the Steam buy button!

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Pre-ordered it on amazon for £5 cheaper. Will go on the Online section after I've finished with the story mode... so could be a few months!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
One hopes the PC version doesn't have the stupid auto aim mode that the consoles have...

On games like this it don't bother me too much if it is subtle and not over the top. But no doubt if its included it will automatically turn me 90 degrees to lock onto to someone xD

Spuff

Expert
The PC will definitely have auto aim.
On console you can choose to have auto aim or not. I expect it to behave exactly the same on PC. If you do have it you have to move your reticule close the the enemy you want to aim at for it to lock on, although it will sometimes lock on the wrong person if they are close together. You never have to let it spin your character by any amount, you just go out of aim if you don't want to follow them.
If auto aim is on you can go into free aim by holding the appropriate control (I forget which, I do it subconsciously). You often have to do this to hit a sideways moving enemy because the lock at distance will shoot behind them. I also do it to ride up an enemy to get a head shot. I've grinded $5 million just by doing survivals, and it would have been a lot more difficult using only free aim, one can just look at the red dots on the little map and move my aim in the appropriate direction in the early stages. I would count myself as a survival expert.
In Deathmatches the host can set the game to force free aim. You can probably beat a player using auto aim by using free aim well in deathmatch situations, but I avoid PvP killing and know not of advanced techniques regarding that.

Keyboard and mouse may change the balance and how that will play I don't know.

I accidentally turned auto aim off after the second mission in story mode and didn't find out how to turn it back on until the second mission from the end. It meant I had to do an escape from a graveyard in free aim which was hellishly difficult. I wished I had been using auto aim all the way.

The choice is yours.

Last edited:

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Auto aim is cheat mode for the PC. If you can use a mouse then there is no reason for its existence that I can see. Console maybe I can see the appeal given how awful a controller is to aim manually with. But even then, a bit of an easy mode for those that use it. If you've got a mouse in your hands then I don't see the point in it even existing!

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Auto Aim really annoyed me in Mass Effect, when you were trying to shoot an explosive barrel and it aims for the head instead.

I heard somewhere that the only steam version of the game you can get is through Steam, all other forms of the game will run though Rockstar Social Club.

Not that the steam version wont either just i like having games on steam

Spuff

Expert
Auto aim is cheat mode for the PC. If you can use a mouse then there is no reason for its existence that I can see. Console maybe I can see the appeal given how awful a controller is to aim manually with. But even then, a bit of an easy mode for those that use it. If you've got a mouse in your hands then I don't see the point in it even existing!

I play all my PC games with a Playstation controller. Rockstar must realise people will be doing that and 'assisted aim' must be available in at least story mode.
However with a game being well set for controller response I am very good at free aiming with the controller. Like in ESO I had no disadvantage using the controller compared to people using K&M. Even in single player FPS I could often sweep across the screen and stop dead on a distant enemy's head. Some controllers of the same model are better than others. I realise that in free aim PvP there will probably be an advantage to K&M.
Well, it will be interesting how it is all handled in GTAV PC. I think for PvP matches you get pooled with people according to whether you have AA on or off.

Last edited:

mcatlow

There is one for PS3 which I played as for about a month but nobody else in it played. I never met another crew member online.

Fair enough. I bought a second-hand PS3 just for GTA V and played for a couple months, but hated the controller (and the graphics). PC is going to be great.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Fair enough. I bought a second-hand PS3 just for GTA V and played for a couple months, but hated the controller (and the graphics). PC is going to be great.

Although I never played I thought the graphics on the old consoles were very impressive for the bit of hardware they were running on and didn't look bad at all! That was through YouTube's awful compression as well!

LFFPicard

Godlike
GTA V Preloading NOW :rockon:

And steam was struggling with this last night, started at about 2MB/s and dropped to 200KB/s
Although I have a week to download 59gb so its all good :p
I would change content provider form London but it is hassle for one game, it's not like I can play it until next week anyway so I will just let it chug away.

YAMAHA

Gold Level Poster
Mine started slow as you say at about 200KB/s but soon shot up to 12.5MB/s all done in no time. I even clicked on "play", well, you never know [rollinglaugh]

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Mine started slow as you say at about 200KB/s but soon shot up to 12.5MB/s all done in no time. I even clicked on "play", well, you never know [rollinglaugh]

I had one that did start to boot before Steam or whatever noticed. Can't remember what game it was, must have been a bug.