Missing Nvidia control panel

DrozenB

Hi, I just noticed I'm missing Nvidia control panel in my brand new laptop. I got it earlier in the week, every game is working fine but sometimes I get a notification when starting up the laptop saying I need to download nvdia control panel from microsoft store. I need to use it because I'm moding one of my games and some processes require tinkering with the control panel. I have geoforce experience installed with the latest driver for my GPU. I also noticed that in the device manager, only the RTX 2070 is showing so I am a little bit reluctant to uninstall the video drivers since I seem to lack intel graphics to use during the process (do I need it?). I need some advice with this. Here are the specs for my laptop:

Chassis & Display
Proteus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 9750H (2.6GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor
1 x Proteus Series 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Proteus VII Series Lithium Ion Battery, 47WH
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 3.1 Type C PORT AS STANDARD
Keyboard Language
PROTEUS SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 PRO

DrozenB

Ordered it without windows. It came with windows home installed but no key, I bought a windows pro key from amazon for a much cheaper price and used it without any problems

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ordered it without windows. It came with windows home installed but no key, I bought a windows pro key from amazon for a much cheaper price and used it without any problems
That will be the issue. PCS will have installed a test OS, but it won’t be properly configured.

you’d need to reinstall windows from scratch from the latest image here:

Then allow windows update to install all drivers except for nvidia graphics which you get from nvidia (includes control panel) and the chassis management software which you can get from the downloads on your main PCS account.

DrozenB

That will be the issue. PCS will have installed a test OS, but it won’t be properly configured.

you’d need to reinstall windows from scratch from the latest image here:

Then allow windows update to install all drivers except for nvidia graphics which you get from nvidia (includes control panel) and the chassis management software which you can get from the downloads on your main PCS account.
Are you sure that is the best method for it? I have alredy installed a bunch of games in my computer and backing them all up will be a pain... Will intel graphics also show up along with the panel? What other issues will I run into if I choose to keep it like it is now?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Are you sure that is the best method for it? I have alredy installed a bunch of games in my computer and backing them all up will be a pain... Will intel graphics also show up along with the panel? What other issues will I run into if I choose to keep it like it is now?
It's impossible to know what other issues might crop up in the future. A reinstall (or rather a first install) of Windows 10 Pro is the only way to be sure you have a stable and reliable system.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
A clean reinstall is necessary to get a proper configuration. For a test environment, they only need to install limited stuff, it’s impossible to know what’s missing, but it WILL cause more issues in the long term if you stick on that platform.
So long as you configure it correctly then of course nvidia settings and igpu will be present (unless you dont have an igpu)

DrozenB

It's impossible to know what other issues might crop up in the future. A reinstall (or rather a first install) of Windows 10 Pro is the only way to be sure you have a stable and reliable system.
So I should just format the pc using the windows configs and then plug a USB with the immage? Will the windows key I bought still work after that? Is there a way to uninstall windows and keep the data intact?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So I should just format the pc using the windows configs and then plug a USB with the immage? Will the windows key I bought still work after that? Is there a way to uninstall windows and keep the data intact?
You boot the USB

don’t do a reset from within windows, it needs to be a full re

a reinstall will wipe the os drive.

DrozenB

I
You boot the USB

don’t do a reset from within windows, it needs to be a full re

a reinstall will wipe the os drive.
I'm not familiar with that process, can you please explain how I do it? I'm backing up some games right now but I don't have an idea of how to wipe the entire data

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So I should just format the pc using the windows configs and then plug a USB with the immage?
No need. Just boot from the USB containing the installation media, choose a custom install, delete all partitions on the system drive, select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partition structure and install Windows.

Be sure to keep running Windows Update after the install until no more updates are found. This will (should) install all necessary drivers. Things like GeForce Experience you'll have to install seperately.

Will the windows key I bought still work after that?
Yes but you need not enter it, you can just skip the product key entry. This is because you've already had an activated copy of Windows 10 Pro on that hardware so any new install of the same OS will activate automatically.

Is there a way to uninstall windows and keep the data intact?
No. You'll need to copy all your user data onto an external drive and copy it back afterwards. You could create a data partition and move all your data into that, leaving that partition alone during the reinstall. There is no way to do a clean reinstall (that you need) and keep existing applications either, everything will have to be reinstalled from scratch.

DrozenB

No need. Just boot from the USB containing the installation media, choose a custom install, delete all partitions on the system drive, select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partition structure and install Windows.

Be sure to keep running Windows Update after the install until no more updates are found. This will (should) install all necessary drivers. Things like GeForce Experience you'll have to install seperately.

Yes but you need not enter it, you can just skip the product key entry. This is because you've already had an activated copy of Windows 10 Pro on that hardware so any new install of the same OS will activate automatically.

No. You'll need to copy all your user data onto an external drive and copy it back afterwards. You could create a data partition and move all your data into that, leaving that partition alone during the reinstall. There is no way to do a clean reinstall (that you need) and keep existing applications either, everything will have to be reinstalled from scratch.
Thanks for the advice, can I use an external HDD to complete this process? I'm keeping my data in it too so will it work with my stuff in and and windows immage? How do I boot from the installation media?

DrozenB

I'm trying to get into the BIOS but I can't seem to get it to work, which key is the one I should press? I tried esc and delete but neither are working.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm trying to get into the BIOS but I can't seem to get it to work, which key is the one I should press? I tried esc and delete but neither are working.
You access it from windows by searching for advanced startup which will load "change advanced startup options" then "advanced startup"

RobMeade

Bronze Level Poster
I've been experiencing exactly the same problem with a brand new laptop, just received...

What I found was, when I clicked on the little popup that said about installing it, it opened the Windows Store.. I clicked on the "Get" button and nothing seemed to happen. This process was repeated several times with no joy.

During this process I was also running Windows Updates and it seemed the laptop was significantly behind (despite going through a testing process at PCS?), it has just finished installing the latest Windows updates and rebooted...

Upon doing so I repeated the same steps, this time, when I clicked on "Get" it mentioned that the Windows App (Windows Store) was trying to be accessed, did I want it to, I said yes, the app opened and from here I clicked the "Get" button again, at this point it started to download and install the NVidia Control Panel, it is now installed and, as far as I know, I shouldn't see any more nag messages.

Oh, and in doing so the Search functionality has started to work too... still have knackered sound though.. *sigh*