RTX 3080

imfasttom

Gold Level Poster
Isn’t that a VA panel? I was always told go for IPS for gaming. Could be wrong.
Yeah its a VA panel. If I recall. VA is better picture quality in terms of Brightness, colour etc than an IPS, but IPS is better at higher refresh rates and picture doesn't degrade at different viewing angles as much as VA.

I think stuff like this is always personal choice unless you competitive game.

Edit: But i am no expert.

Jxromey

Here we go DAY 60, Lets see what the next 10 or 20 days will bring.
What monitor do you recommend with 3080?
It really depends what kind of gamer you are. Competitive player I would suggest a 1080p monitor with 240-360hz ips panels. Asus PG259QN or Alienware AW2521H are great choices. Other than that, if you are more casual then some good 1440p monitors are a shout. I'd still try to go for one with at least 240hz though.

Jaycensolo

Bronze Level Poster
I can see the prices starting to fall on 4K 144hz due to more coming out this year. I think 3/4 were announced at CES 21 to come out later this year and 2 more were announced towards the end of fall 20 which would probably come out sooner than the others.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I went for the LG27GL850 IPS 1440p 144hz as I could not justify the price of a 4K 144hz as most where £850-£1000.
In which case you could save yourself some money & drop to the 3070 or even the 3060 Ti as 3080 is overkill for 1440p, you wont gain anything with a 3080 it's for ultrawide or 4k

A Samsung G9 is on the wish list but with the current 3080 supply issue, I think it is better to wait and see what's available when the PC arrives. I will also buy a high end VR headset.

I have thought about upgrading to a 3090 card but the step in price is too high.

Jaycensolo

Bronze Level Poster
In which case you could save yourself some money & drop to the 3070 or even the 3060 Ti as 3080 is overkill for 1440p, you wont gain anything with a 3080 it's for ultrawide or 4k
I went for a 6800XT due to the reviews at 1440p. From what I saw the 3080 was better at 4K than the 6800XT and the 6800XT was better at 1440p on some of the games I wanted to play. I bought the monitor a month before the 6800XT was announced so had not made my mind up on it yet. But managed to buy the LG monitor for £330 when it is normally £430-£450 so thought it was too good to pass up. So the 6800XT should get 144fps in most games which is what I wanted. I had only recently changed from a 1660x1050 @120hz a monitor I bought almost 10 years ago. So I knew I wanted to a good monitor to go with the new machine.

Snooze

I'm at 21 days. I'm gonna hold out till at least March and see if stock does actually start moving. Based on when I ordered, its likely that even if it does improve I'll not see the first wave of stock anyway.
You’ll be waiting some time ! Even if stock was to pick up today, they’re still working on order all the way back to October 10th...Catastrophic

Jaycensolo

Bronze Level Poster
The problem is with the DDR6X ram as it is both expensive and rare because it is harder to manufacture. So Nvidia is struggling to get enough of it for their partners to make cards. It also did not help with Miners buying any where from $250-300m worth of 3080s. The card most are actually getting hold of is the 3070 which is using DDR6 memory which is cheaper and easier to get. So it is not just PCS that is having a hard time getting hold of 3080s almost all the other suppliers are struggling. With even one company telling people to either switch to a 3070 or cancel as they don’t expect to get proper stock till end of March at the earliest. So imagine how many other suppliers all fighting for the same stock. I can count 9 other companies at the top of my head. Even people on their own trying to source their own cards are not getting any 3080s or if they do they are paying massively over the top for them. I think most people will have to drop to a 3070 if they want their PC built ASAP. As they will just be frustrated waiting for a 3080 and especially if they ordered after Xmas. As there were lots of people that ordered when the new AMD CPUs came out in early November. So if they have only got to October which is probably orders with Intel CPUs or older AMD ones then it will be an even longer wait for them.

Grendel85

As an update, just had an email to say my PC has gone into building. Didn't expect it to be THAT fast
Oh wow that’s crazy, think I am going to do the same! I didn’t bother as I thought the CPU was also on pre order (I ordered the same CPU as you changed to)

kozuki

Enthusiast
Just got an update, I am told that there is some movement with my order and it seems like they are printing out the spec sheet for part picking now, so I got a new estimate of another 2 weeks, but also told it could be much shorter, or longer. Hopefully I won't hit 100 working days and the rest of this goes smoothly. 78th working day today.

Stacey

Oh wow that’s crazy, think I am going to do the same! I didn’t bother as I thought the CPU was also on pre order (I ordered the same CPU as you changed to)
I was shocked too.

I'd definitely say go for it if you're hoping to get your build before March or beyond (although I don't know how long you've been waiting so you might not be in the March gang?)

But yeah, amazingly fast, I wasn't sure if it was the right decision based on the stock issues of the Corsair 850w PSU, and the CPU, but I'm glad I did now.

Think my stubbornness kept me holding on for the 3080 even though I really didn't need it, and wouldn't feel the benefits of it with a 60hz 1080p lol.

Jaycensolo

Bronze Level Poster
Just got an update, I am told that there is some movement with my order and it seems like they are printing out the spec sheet for part picking now, so I got a new estimate of another 2 weeks, but also told it could be much shorter, or longer. Hopefully I won't hit 100 working days and the rest of this goes smoothly. 78th working day today.
I got told they do that not long before they into the build phase. When I rang and got told that I was told 1-2 days and then it would go into build. I got an email 4 hours later saying that they had started the build.

kozuki

Enthusiast
I got told they do that not long before they into the build phase. When I rang and got told that I was told 1-2 days and then it would go into build. I got an email 4 hours later saying that they had started the build.
Mine was very specifically worded, to be exact:
I have seen some new movement on your order which recommends the specification sheet has been printed to then be handed to the picking team.
From this point forward we are hoping to get the machine built and tested within 2 weeks

Hopefully it gets sorted out during the weekend or the next week. It has been a long wait and my current work laptop is feeling uneasy on me, as if it knows that its time is running out

kozuki

Enthusiast
Bless the thing, be prepared to give mouth to mouth if necessary! Don't let it walk into the light!
He needs to stroke it and call it nice names. Machines work better when they know that they are loved. 😂
oh it's still going strong, it will have a superb finish, running 3440x1440 and 2x 1080p screens, all USB ports occupied, with cooler underneath running 24/7 too. Its soul will live on in the new machine as I salvage the m.2 from the insides once the time comes.