Blue screen of death: critical process died stop code error

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
No, I didn't do that. I never got to D:\Users because I had typed in the command you had said with the symbol ) on the end (ColEyt said that must have been a typo). So I did it again, as you had said without that symbol on the end and it then said D:\Users>

I have now typed in DIR after that, as you have just said and it says:

Directory of D: Users

(My username)
Public
0 file(s) 0 bytes
4 Dir(s) 927,918,587,904 bytes free

Does this mean my data is still there and can be copied?
Yes it looks like it! Your data will be under the yourname folder. Take a look and check that it's there. Then you can copy it to another drive.

Entrepreneur3636

Bronze Level Poster
Yes it looks like it! Your data will be under the yourname folder. Take a look and check that it's there. Then you can copy it to another drive.
Thanks for that!

How do I take a look to check that it's there, and then copy it to another drive?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So, do I type cd after: D:\Users>

... then hit enter?
No. The CD command means 'change directory', you follow the CD with the name of the folder you want to change to and then issue the dir (directory) command to see what's in there.

I feel a responsibility to again suggest that, based on the questions you're asking, that you really don't have the level of experience to do what you're attempting - especially as there appears to be no backup of your data.

There must be someone you know who has more experience and can do this for you. It's a lot more complex than just following a procedure.

I honestly wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't strongly advise you to get someone with more experience to do this.

Entrepreneur3636

Bronze Level Poster
No. The CD command means 'change directory', you follow the CD with the name of the folder you want to change to and then issue the dir (directory) command to see what's in there.
I'm confused at this point. Could you give me an example with a line of code? I find that much easier (sorry, I haven't done this before). I'm fine as long as I have what I need to type in infront of me.

Entrepreneur3636

Bronze Level Poster
There is a space between the CD and cherry.

Please see the addition to my post above.
OK, I'll see if I can find someone who can instruct me through it.

What is the process called that I will need to do to access/copy my data? So I know what to ask for.

Thanks.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
OK, I'll see if I can find someone who can instruct me through it.

What is the process called that I will need to do to access/copy my data? So I know what to ask for.

Thanks.
Just explain what's happened. That you can't boot the PC and you need to reinstall Windows. Before that though you need to copy your data off the system drive. :)

Entrepreneur3636

Bronze Level Poster
Just to say, thanks to everyone who tried to help. I managed to find a YouTube video to walk me through getting my data back - very simple and it's all there! Very happy :)

Entrepreneur3636

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys, I've managed to copy all my files (Word and excel files), that I'd created before the blue screen of death, onto a USB flash drive. So very relieved.

However, now I need to get my computer working again.

I've followed instructions to deal with the "critical process died stop error", including trying Startup repair an trying to start it in safe mode, but none of that has worked. So it looks like I'm going to need to reinstall Windows.

However, I have 3 drives on my computer (2 x SSD and a 2TB Seagate HDD). And there is something on each of those drives.

On the D: drive there is:

logs.zip
LTIBootstrap.vbs
MININT
NVIDIA_GT
Perflogs
Program files
Program files (x86)
sources
temp
Users
Windows
2 File(s) 54,999 bytes
9 Dir(s) 927,847,165 bytes free

On C: Drive (which is the Seagate HDD) there is:

bootex.log
gdiplus.dll
0 recovery.txt

3 file(s) 1,706,496 bytes
0 Dir(s) 2,000,209,387,520 bytes free

On E drive there is:

Directory of drive E:\

6,144 bootex log
1 file(s) 6,144 bytes
0 Dir(s) 511,976,579,072 bytes free

I think there is a drive X too - although I only have 3 drives, so I don't know if one of them is a partition?

Anyway, my question is this....

If I reinstall Windows, which drive would I install it onto. And would I need to copy everything from all of my drives before hand (to reinstall after Windows has been installed?)

If someone can help me with this, it would be much appreciated.

My computer is under warranty but there is likely to be a big wait time (and I need my computer). So if I am able to fix this myself that would be great.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The OS is always the C drive, which makes what you have posted here look very curious, as everything i'd expect to be on the C drive is on the D drive🤔

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi guys, I've managed to copy all my files (Word and excel files), that I'd created before the blue screen of death, onto a USB flash drive. So very relieved.

However, now I need to get my computer working again.

I've followed instructions to deal with the "critical process died stop error", including trying Startup repair an trying to start it in safe mode, but none of that has worked. So it looks like I'm going to need to reinstall Windows.

However, I have 3 drives on my computer (2 x SSD and a 2TB Seagate HDD). And there is something on each of those drives.

On the D: drive there is:

logs.zip
LTIBootstrap.vbs
MININT
NVIDIA_GT
Perflogs
Program files
Program files (x86)
sources
temp
Users
Windows
2 File(s) 54,999 bytes
9 Dir(s) 927,847,165 bytes free

On C: Drive (which is the Seagate HDD) there is:

bootex.log
gdiplus.dll
0 recovery.txt

3 file(s) 1,706,496 bytes
0 Dir(s) 2,000,209,387,520 bytes free

On E drive there is:

Directory of drive E:\

6,144 bootex log
1 file(s) 6,144 bytes
0 Dir(s) 511,976,579,072 bytes free

I think there is a drive X too - although I only have 3 drives, so I don't know if one of them is a partition?

Anyway, my question is this....

If I reinstall Windows, which drive would I install it onto. And would I need to copy everything from all of my drives before hand (to reinstall after Windows has been installed?)

If someone can help me with this, it would be much appreciated.

My computer is under warranty but there is likely to be a big wait time (and I need my computer). So if I am able to fix this myself that would be great.
Now that your data is safe the wisest and safest thing to do is to erase all partitions on all drives and install Windows on the fastest drive you have. Looking at your specs that would be the 512GB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 SSD drive.

When you have booted the Windows installation media click the big blue Install button.
Then choose a Custom Install. You will see all partitions on all drives.
Delete all partitions that you can see. Eventually you will be left with three drives just showing 'unallocated space'.

Locate the 512GB drive, that's where we'll install Windows - but not just yet.

First select each of the other two drives in turn and click the New button to create a new partition on the drive. Accept the partition size chosen - it will be the full size of the drive.
Then click the format button to format that drive.
Now do the same thing on the other (non-Windows) drive.

Now select the 512GB drive where you'll install Windows and click the Next button. The installer will create the necessary partitions and install Windows.
Once Windows is installed you'll run through what's known as the Out Of Box Experience (OOBE) where you'll set things like language, region, userid etc. Take your time with this process, be sure you understand what options you're choosing.

Once the OOBE has completed and Windows has started run Windows Update. You'll probably be asked to reboot, so do so and then run Windows Update again. You may have to reboot a second time, if so run Windows Update again when Windows reboots. Keep running Windows Update across all reboots until no more updates are found.

Then click the Optional Updates item and install all the updates you find there. Again, run Windows Update after any reboots until no more updates are found.

Then you'll have a working Windows system. :)

Entrepreneur3636

Bronze Level Poster
Now that your data is safe the wisest and safest thing to do is to erase all partitions on all drives and install Windows on the fastest drive you have. Looking at your specs that would be the 512GB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 SSD drive.

When you have booted the Windows installation media click the big blue Install button.
Then choose a Custom Install. You will see all partitions on all drives.
Delete all partitions that you can see. Eventually you will be left with three drives just showing 'unallocated space'.

Locate the 512GB drive, that's where we'll install Windows - but not just yet.

First select each of the other two drives in turn and click the New button to create a new partition on the drive. Accept the partition size chosen - it will be the full size of the drive.
Then click the format button to format that drive.
Now do the same thing on the other (non-Windows) drive.

Now select the 512GB drive where you'll install Windows and click the Next button. The installer will create the necessary partitions and install Windows.
Once Windows is installed you'll run through what's known as the Out Of Box Experience (OOBE) where you'll set things like language, region, userid etc. Take your time with this process, be sure you understand what options you're choosing.

Once the OOBE has completed and Windows has started run Windows Update. You'll probably be asked to reboot, so do so and then run Windows Update again. You may have to reboot a second time, if so run Windows Update again when Windows reboots. Keep running Windows Update across all reboots until no more updates are found.

Then click the Optional Updates item and install all the updates you find there. Again, run Windows Update after any reboots until no more updates are found.

Then you'll have a working Windows system. :)
Thanks, this is GREATLY appreciated!

Just to check, before I do this, I don't need to copy any of the data from the other drives then? Or the other files on the drive that Windows is currently installed on:

logs.zip
LTIBootstrap.vbs
MININT
NVIDIA_GT
Perflogs
Program files
Program files (x86)
sources
temp
Users

Just making sure I do this right!

Thanks.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks, this is much appreciated!

Just to check, before I do this, I don't need to copy any of the data from the other drives then? Or the other files on the drive that Windows is currently installed on:

logs.zip
LTIBootstrap.vbs
MININT
NVIDIA_GT
Perflogs
Program files
Program files (x86)
sources
temp
Users

Just making sure I do this right!

Thanks.
You don't need to but if you have the space to copy them it would be a good idea to do so. All you need to copy is the entire contents of the Users folder, that's where your data is. :)