New gaming headset - Steelseries Siberia V2? Question

bigben

Master Poster
Hi guys, decided at last to upgrade my headset as the bass on my Turtle Beaches is pants. I'm looking at this headset. Just noticed that the usb one has "usb soundcard included" (the table labled "Which SteelSeries Headset is Right for You?"), any idea what that means? I assume my onboard audio will be good enough with these?

Thanks

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Hey Alex, I have the V2's and it's a very decent headset. What I remember from reading about the built-in soundcard is that Steelseries set up the headset to specifically to pinpoint certain gaming sounds, for example grenades bouncing off the floor, reload clicks, footsteps, etc. It's very good at achieving this and I would highly recommend the headset as an overall product.

I can assure you that you'll struggle to find a more comfortable headset as well. I tried on 6 or 7 in PC World as they had a display stand including Corsair, Roccat and Logitech ones and really there was no comparison. They are so ridiculously lightweight and they fit automatically due to the elasticated band feature rather than having to fiddle to get the right size set-up. The actual earmuffs are also very comfortable and coming from a set of Turtle Beach X1's where I couldn't wear them for longer than 5 minutes without me having to put a hood up and put the headphones on top of it, I was thoroughly impressed with my V2's comfort wise. The ones that Bsrz linked to may indeed have better bass and sound quality but I have no issues at all with the performance and build quality of my V2's. The Mic is also very handy being retractable!

Edit: Realised I haven't clearly answered about the soundcard... Basically it's just a small block at the end of the cable with a USB port on the end so it will be no different to any other peripheral, just stick them into a USB slot and they'll be ready to go. As far as I know USB headsets can't be used with actual Soundcards so the V2's are made especially for onboard audio motherboards :)

Last edited:

bigben

Master Poster
Thanks Sam, which one do you have? The one with the soundcard or without?

Bsrz. Thanks, I'll have a look :)

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Yea I got the Frost Blue Edition to go with my other shiny blue peripherals and they've got the built-in soundcard. It's not even really noticeable at all visually, but basically instead of just being a lead with a usb port at the end it's a lead with a little rectangle box with the usb port at the end of that.

steelseries-siberia-v2-usb_soundcard.jpg

bigben

Master Poster
Went to Curries and had a look at them. Decided on the Frost blue V2 - £35 cheaper than on Amazon.
Clashes horribly with my red backlit keyboard, red lights on my mouse and red led case fan but hey ho, it looks nice... Is there a way to stop the lights turning on and off and have them just on? There's a mirror just above my monitors and it's rather distracting...

Apart from the distracting lights very happy with them, comfy and they are very good with music. Will try them on Battlefield later :) I also like that cable is short, although they could have done with about another 250mm - my Turtle Beaches have about 16' of cable and looks really naff.

edit: Just noticed that the usb extender that comes with it isn't very long, which means that I can have it tucked out the back and just disconnect the headset from the extender when I want to listen to actual speakers. Even better.

Last edited:

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Yea that's what I do with my usb extender! :) I agree though, they are very short if you want to use them with a laptop or something.

To turn the lights off just go onto the steelseries website and download the software for them. This lets you change between gaming, music, immersion, balanced modes, etc. It also lets you set the light intensity or turn them completely off. I have mine on solid rather than flashing :)