£1000 budget for gaming, so is this good?

thegreb

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all. I'm planning on spending £1000 on a laptop for gaming. I've decided on the Vortex II 15, and have thrown some specs together which add up to £998. Please could someone have a look at my choices, and tell me if I need to change anything that keeps the price at £1000 maximum, but improves the gaming performance of the laptop?

Here's what I've chosen:

Chassis & Display
Vortex II: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
1.5GB nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M - DirectX® 11 (15.6" Vortex II)

Memory - Hard Disk
500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID, SATA 3 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD INC. BLUETOOTH 3.0

USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD

Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (3,800 mAh)

Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 180W AC Adaptor

Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE

Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE

Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Dead Pixel Guarantee
30 Day Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£12)

Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft

Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days

I have a copy of Windows 7, so don't need to add that in. I also have a Blu-Ray drive in my old laptop, so can hopefully shove it in the Vortex II 15.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help me out.

thegreb

Bronze Level Poster
It takes me over the £1000, and I literally have £1000 and no more. It's my birthday present, and the person buying it for me won't stretch that extra few quid.

thexcal

Gold Level Poster
Do you plan on being mobile when using the laptop cos you can get a better pc for £1000 if your using it at home?

thegreb

Bronze Level Poster
I will be using it at home the majority of the time, but it will be taken to my parents sometimes. I live in North Wales, while my parents live in East Anglia. I travel to see them about five times a year, and always take my laptop with me so I can play games in the evening while they're watching Corrie and all those other programmes old people enjoy. So it'll need to be mobile, and I don't fancy lugging a tower and monitor from train to train whenever I go visit them :p Plus, I don't have much room in my flat so a desktop PC wouldn't be viable for me (the joys of living with my girlfriend and child).

thexcal

Gold Level Poster
Ok well as long as your not playing BF3 on high setting i think you will be fine with you laptop:)
Just don't use it on a carpet for good air flow and and try not to drop it:)

thegreb

Bronze Level Poster
Excellent. Thanks for your help. Rep added.

Don't even start with dropping laptops! My boy has knocked my 6920G on the floor four or five times sinse I got it a couple of years ago lol. I gave up putting the front plastic bit back on the Blu-Ray drive, so just left it off :p Oh, and the case itself has a small crack below the drive. He's also got a thing for pulling the keys off, which is annoying but nothing I can't fix. To be honest, the poor laptop is a mess because of him. I'll be making sure to hide my Vortex II 15 from him whenever I'm not using it.

thexcal

Gold Level Poster
QUOTE was disappointed when I clicked that link. I was hoping it'd link to a cage to lock my son in lol.
Lol

Last edited: