£1200 build

Jake0307

Case
FRACTAL FOCUS G BLACK GAMING CASE (Window)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-7700 (3.6GHz) 8MB Cache (Unsure whether I need an I7, my main activities are video-streaming and computer gaming - no video editing)
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME Z270-P: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs (Will I have a free PCI-E 3.0 slot available for an NVMe SSD?)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB) (I barely go over 6GB RAM use with my current 8GB setup, so 16GB is future-proofing)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready! (Went for the 6GB rather than the 3GB 1060 for the sake of further future-proofing and also the added capability of VR)
1st Hard Disk
3TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE (This 3TB HDD will be for storage - I have a 1TB SSD that I will be using for core apps and gaming)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY (I only need 450W according to PCS, but for an extra £5, the future-proofing is worth it - added components in future etc.)
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler (Read some very positive reviews about Noctua fan-coolers. Not too interested in liquid coolers due to maintenance and leakage possibility, and the self-maintaining ones are so expensive)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (Standard)
Extra Case Fans
1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof) (I wanted the 2 extra fans for £9 but PCS warned me the option was out of stock, which I don't understand as I was able to choose the 1 fan option - will be contacting PCS about this)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD) (No special desire for a standalone sound card)

Price £1,195.00 including VAT and delivery

Jake0307

2 x 120mm fans out of stock until December??

I've been putting together a potential PC build for myself, but when I go to choose extra case fans, the 2 x 120mm case fan option is greyed out (see below).

2c2dce989524bdd67bbbb90a57a5ae5d.png

When I do select the 2 x 120mm case fan option and I click proceed, a warning pops up telling me they are out stock until 07/12/17 and it does not let me proceed.

ced305acf364c3a1cfc960231979bd4a.png

When I select the 1 x 120mm case fan option, it works fine and lets me proceed. I don't understand - if the 2 case fan option is out of stock, how can the 1 case fan option be in stock?! They are the same fans!!!

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just a bug that's occurring for me? Can anyone from PCS help me with sorting this out?

Stephen M

Author Level
The answer to you question about the slot for the SSD is yes, or I am fairly sure but easy way to check is run that through the configurator with an m2 SSD in as well, click proceed and it will say if it cannot be done. The fan thing seems odd, best way to contact PCS is by phone as they can take a while to answer emails.

At the moment you do not need an i7 for gaming but that could change and cheaper to with an i7 now than add one in a year or so time.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'd suggest the i7 7700k as it's quite a bit faster out of the box (i.e. even if you don't overclock).

The Noctua is a great fan. However, if you need to trim back to afford the faster CPU the CM212x is more than enough.