£2000 budget and want to play in 4k. Please help!!

kylhan

Silver Level Poster
Here is what I was thinking, could someone please spot any obvious OTT or unnessisary components. I've been out the game for a year or two and feel a bit rusty lol. Do you think I could get away with a less powerfull GPU and SLI in future to play 4k. Would it be worth getting more RAM or just upgrading down the line? Is the CPU a bit OTT or is it better to keep with what I've got? PSU should I go slightly lower or get a higher one for when I buy a second GPU if I go with SLI? Sorry!! Please help :s

Case CORSAIR GRAPHITE SERIES™ 780T FULL TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-5930K (3.5GHz) 15MB Cache?
Motherboard ASUS® X99 DELUXE: ATX, HSW-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s
Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)?
Graphics Card 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready?
2ND/3RD None?
1st Hard Disk 240GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
2nd Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EZRX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
RAID NONE
M.2 SSD Drive NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE
Memory Card Reader NONE
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET?
Processor Cooling Corsair H60 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Extra Case Fans NONE
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Fan Controller NONE
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Router/HomePlugs NONE
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Firewire NONE
TV Card NONE
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Windows 10 Upgrade FREE Upgrade to Windows 10 with all Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 Purchases
DVD Recovery Media Windows 8.1 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You'd need SLI'd GTX 980's for 4k playability. You could probably downgrade the chassis to a top end haswell build from the "Top spec core computers" range which will be significantly cheaper for the same performance.

I'd steer clear of the V300's as they have pretty serious performance issues.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Your CPU is way OTT, this would be much better suited. You don't need the i7 or 16GB of RAM, but will give you a better balanced system. The R9 295X2 is brilliant for 4k gaming, and i put the water cooler in there so help with temps :)

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790 (3.6GHz) 8MB Cache
Case COOLERMASTER HAF 912 PLUS MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Motherboard ASUS® Z97-A: ATX, USB3.0, SATA 6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE
Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 8GB AMD RADEON™ R9 295X2 - DL DVI, 4 x mDP - DX® 11 Eyefinity 6 Capable
2nd Graphics Card NONE
3rd Graphics Card NONE
1st Hard Disk 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
3rd Hard Disk NONE
4th Hard Disk NONE
RAID NONE
M.2 SSD Drive NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE
Memory Card Reader NONE
Power Supply CORSAIR 1000W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling Corsair H60 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Extra Case Fans 2 x 12CM Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Fan Controller NONE
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Router/HomePlugs NONE
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Firewire NONE
TV Card NONE
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Windows 10 Upgrade FREE Upgrade to Windows 10 with all Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 Purchases
DVD Recovery Media Windows 8.1 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Monitor NONE
2nd Monitor NONE
3rd Monitor NONE
4th Monitor NONE
Monitor Cables NONE
Eyefinity Adapter / GeForce 3D Vision NONE
Keyboard & Mouse NONE
Mouse NONE
Gaming Mouse Pad NONE
NVIDIA SHIELD™ NONE
Speakers NONE
Webcam NONE
Headsets NONE
Surge Protection NONE
Cable Tidy NONE
Printer NONE
External Hard Drive NONE
Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Home Installation NONE
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 4 to 6 working days
Pricing Information
Price (excluding VAT) £1,459.17
Price £1,751.00

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
I'm unclear as to whether you're going to be 4k gaming immediately (and have a 4k monitor already) or just want a build that you could get to potentially 4k game in the future? If the former then George's build looks pretty neat. If it's the latter I'd just go for a single 980 at the moment and then SLI it later down the line when you actually get a 4k monitor and want to do 4k gaming. Or potentially even wait for the 390x to come out and get a couple of those... if you have the patience...

blakeyxd

My computer is around £4000, and to play the newest games it struggles to keep at 60fps on the best settings. If you want to play the newest games you want to play with the highest settings at 60fps, there isn't really a computer out there able to cope. Especially with new upcoming games that will likely be more intensive. Perhaps the new Titan X will make it more stable for 4K.

If you can sacrifice textures to medium then the rigs above will play the games at 4k. I don't think graphic cards will be ready for 4k truly for a few more years. It may be worth waiting for a while to make sure your hardware is future proof for games at 4k. But if you have the money to spare then defiantly go for it, as you will be amazed how much better games are at 4k than 1080p even with textures on low.

kylhan

Silver Level Poster
I'm unclear as to whether you're going to be 4k gaming immediately (and have a 4k monitor already) or just want a build that you could get to potentially 4k game in the future? If the former then George's build looks pretty neat. If it's the latter I'd just go for a single 980 at the moment and then SLI it later down the line when you actually get a 4k monitor and want to do 4k gaming. Or potentially even wait for the 390x to come out and get a couple of those... if you have the patience...

I wanted to build a P.C with a great spec now that would play with everything maxed at 1080p, but that would be fairly simple and future proofed enough to upgrade down the line (SLI) to be able to game at 4k when I get a new monitor. The feedback from everyone is really helpful so THANKS :)

Karnivore

For 4K gaming, you're best off waiting a few more months for the Titan X first, then see what AMD have to offer with the 3xx

Whether or not the Titan X can run solid FPS on a 4k monitor is irrelevant. The 4k monitors currently being released are just not worth the price tag. 60HZ will be the max for a year or two I would say. Be patient and invest in a solid 1080p or 1440p monitor. Save your money

Karnivore

The Titan X will be way too expensive for his price point

He has a £2k budget, for 4K gaming he'd realistically need two 980's anyway, and that tops out to over a grand. Worth waiting to see how much the Titan X actually is first. The 390x or 980ti is probably worth waiting for at this point for any person considering playing games at 4k.

kylhan

Silver Level Poster
Yer I have a feeling that the Titan X is going to be far too expensive too :s I'm liking the idea of the 8GB AMD RADEON™ R9 295X2 - DL DVI, 4 x mDP - DX® 11 Eyefinity 6 Capable and buying a second one down the line? Would this be ok for 4k? Or maybe waiting for the 390x?