1 long beep followed by 3 fast beeps?

AKREUZ

Bronze Level Poster
Hi recently got my PC back from PCS after going back for the second time...

once I booted the machine up I got 1 beep then a little after 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps.

ive reseated my RAM and did some tests to no avail. any ideas on what to do as if I have to send it back it’ll be the third time this month.

Rakk

The Awesome
Firstly, if you normally switch the monitor on after powering up the computer, try powering the monitor up before...some motherboards and some monitors result in a false positive...an error code indicating a graphics error but without anything wrong.
@AKREUZ do make sure you check this as I see you said it does boot up fine (in the deleted message). As @Nursemorph said some ASUS motherboards do do this

AKREUZ

Bronze Level Poster
Apologies here are my specs:

Intel® Core™ i9 Ten-Core Processor i9-10900K (3.7GHz) 20MB Cache
MotherboardGigabyte Z490 UD (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: ASUS® ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO Wi-Fi (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX/SLI) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)64GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 16GB)
Graphics Card10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080
1st Storage Drive1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 120 2.5" SSD, (up to 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
2nd Storage Drive1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 120 2.5" SSD, (up to 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB Intel® H10 NVMe SSD + 32GB Intel® Optane™ (up to 2400MB/sR | 1800MB/sW)
Power SupplyCORSAIR 1200W HX SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® PLATINUM, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H100i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

AKREUZ

Bronze Level Poster
And I’ll give that a try as sometimes it doesn’t do and some times it does so could be that. As once booted up everything seems be working fine Especially when playing games and such

AKREUZ

Bronze Level Poster
Quick update I’ve tested turning my pc on while the monitor was off and it did the beeps so I tried while the monitor was switched on and no beeps. Only tested twice so will give it a few more tries.

is there any fix for this or?

AKREUZ

Bronze Level Poster
You forgot to include the specs!

On ASUS boards that code is a graphics error somewhere either GPU or monitor. Firstly, if you normally switch the monitor on after powering up the computer, try powering the monitor up before...some motherboards and some monitors result in a false positive...an error code indicating a graphics error but without anything wrong. It is related to the motherboard checking for a signal and not detecting it so automatically thinking something is wrong.

Beyond that, may be worth checking the graphics card is seated correctly and none of the connections either end are loose.

Tha motherboard also has a Q-Code indicator (just to the right and slightly above the RAM sticks) which will give a number to point out any faults....see what that number is and then either refer to your manual or check here (you want the Q-Code section in the appendices at the end):

If everything is disconnected so monitor keyboard and mouse the pc does the d6 code and beeps as said before. why is this?

Rakk

The Awesome
Quick update I’ve tested turning my pc on while the monitor was off and it did the beeps so I tried while the monitor was switched on and no beeps. Only tested twice so will give it a few more tries.

is there any fix for this or?
Make sure the monitor is switched on :)
I just leave mine on standby all the time when not in use :)
If everything is disconnected so monitor keyboard and mouse the pc does the d6 code and beeps as said before. why is this?
Well the same beeps are probably because the monitor isn't on,

In fact the d6 code I believe means there is no output ie. no monitor.
So yeah leave the monitor turned on or at least turn it on before you turn the PC on

AKREUZ

Bronze Level Poster
Make sure the monitor is switched on :)
I just leave mine on standby all the time when not in use :)

Well the same beeps are probably because the monitor isn't on,

In fact the d6 code I believe means there is no output ie. no monitor.
So yeah leave the monitor turned on or at least turn it on before you turn the PC on
So is that normal for a pc to do that though? Sorry not very pc savvy and also the boot up is not as quick as I thought it would be.

Bhuna50

Author Level
It’s not a normal way but as said before some ASUS motherboards appear to do this so it’s a sort of ‘normal’ for them at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKREUZ

Bronze Level Poster
It’s not a normal way but as said before some ASUS motherboards appear to do this so it’s a sort of ‘normal’ for them at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And is there any fix around as online or states something to do with the gpu when displaying d6?

Rakk

The Awesome
And is there any fix around as online or states something to do with the gpu when displaying d6?
Just make sure the monitor is powered on before you boot the PC, that is the only thing you need to do.

I don't know why some of the ASUS boards seem to object if there is no monitor, but they just do, not sure there is any other workaround as of yet - but you will need the monitor on anyways :)

AKREUZ

Bronze Level Poster
Just make sure the monitor is powered on before you boot the PC, that is the only thing you need to do.

I don't know why some of the ASUS boards seem to object if there is no monitor, but they just do, not sure there is any other workaround as of yet - but you will need the monitor on anyways :)
Right okay thank you. I’ve emailed PCS just in case but other than a slower boot up the pc works as intended, just slightly annoying ahaha

Rakk

The Awesome
Right okay thank you. I’ve emailed PCS just in case but other than a slower boot up the pc works as intended, just slightly annoying ahaha
Just out of curiosity are you turning off the power to the PC when you shut your PC down rather than just leaving it turned off but with power?

AKREUZ

Bronze Level Poster
Just out of curiosity are you turning off the power to the PC when you shut your PC down rather than just leaving it turned off but with power?
after using it for quite a while I’ll turn it off properly then from the switch at the back

Last edited:

AKREUZ

Bronze Level Poster
As said above, it is a quirk of some motherboards that the monitor needs to be on or they object to it...something about the signal during the BIOS and POST check stages. It's annoying but won't damage your system in any way. Fix-wise, there is none beyond turning your monitor on before your system...I believe this has been something that has been around for a few years and I don't see a fix ever appearing.

As to the slow boot of your system, that would be something else entirely. When you say slow booting, how long is it normally taking? If it's longer than about 15 seconds, then yes there is something amiss somewhere...your NVME drive (with it's completely useless Octane...I still don't understand Intel's logic there in including Octane on a non-mechanical drive!) should be rapid in loading. I presume Windows has been updated fully?
Usually takes 20+ seconds for a boot up

AKREUZ

Bronze Level Poster
That's quite slow for an NVME drive....has it been like that since you got it?
Well it’s a new motherboard as the gigabyte one was giving me major issues. And it only came back thursday.

when booting it up it stays in 92 for a while then to 99 for a slight but to then AO?

AKREUZ

Bronze Level Poster
Well it’s a new motherboard as the gigabyte one was giving me major issues. And it only came back thursday.

when booting it up it stays in 92 for a while then to 99 for a slight but to then AO?
In terms of speed opening applications it’s great but yeah just the boot ups a bit slow

AKREUZ

Bronze Level Poster
Is it still an Intel one?

Not entirely sure what you mean by the 92,99 and AO bit in your previous post? I assume it's some sort of check on the SSD hence the slow boot maybe? Have never come across anything like that on a boot sequence.

As to the size of the drive, you will need to discuss it with them...it's entirely possible it's a slower drive which may possibly explain the slower boot speed
Yeah possibly the reason but the 99,92 and AO are what show on the motherboard LED