1 USB 3.0 Port not working

petrow

Gold Level Poster
I bought a new external HDD yesterday which has USB 3.0. I have used it fine and today when I wanted to use it I plugged it into the second USB 3.0 port I have on my new PC, however it doesn't work. I have tried using my mouse and keyboard through it also and it appears there is no power going to it at all.

Any help?

Teaz

Godlike
where are you plugging it into? the back of the motherboard or through the case? what is your spec or what case and motherboard are you using?

petrow

Gold Level Poster
Apologies I should have mentioned:

Overclocked Intel® Core™i5-2500k Quad Core (3.30GHz @ max 4.60GHz)
ASUS® P8P67 PRO (NEW REV 3.0): USB 3.0/SATA 6Gb/s, CrossFireX™ & SLI
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
1.5GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 580 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - DX® 11, 3D Vision Ready

I am plugging it into the motherboard via the back of the case.

Teaz

Godlike
It should work unless there is a missing driver to it which you could check on the motherboard disc. If not an not a single power to anything you plug into it then it may perhaps have a fault. has it worked before? or is this the first time trying out the usb 3?

petrow

Gold Level Poster
Sorry been working nights so no time to be on here...

I have never tried to use the port before until a few days ago. The 3.0 port next to it works fine. I unplugged the external HDD and the next day plugged it back in again, using the other port and nothing, it doesn't work if I put in a normal USB mouse either.

petrow

Gold Level Poster
Neither of the 3.0 ports are working any more... both have stopped working over the last week. Can anyone tell me how I make sure the drivers are installed & where I can get the up-to-date versions?

EDIT: Just ran the troubleshooting on the devices and it found the 3.0 drivers were missing. So they were installed and one port works the other doesn't... Is this a sign of an issue with the motherboard?

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Looks like there could be a fault between the motherboard & USB ports,
I would give tech support a call.