10 or 11 .?

m0zzy

I know this will probably split the room,
but Ive got a new computer, which comes with W11 x64 home on it,..
Im 'VERY' stuck in my ways, and so used to the W10 ive had on for yrs,
what are the benefits for keeping W11 on, or shall i install W10 back on ..??

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I know this will probably split the room,
but Ive got a new computer, which comes with W11 x64 home on it,..
Im 'VERY' stuck in my ways, and so used to the W10 ive had on for yrs,
what are the benefits for keeping W11 on, or shall i install W10 back on ..??
Windows 10 goes out of support in a year, you can't use it beyond that date as it won't receive security updates, so you're completely exposed on the internet, nothing you can do about that, no AV or firewall can do anything to protect that. It's like trying to fix bad foundations with a lock on a door, has zero impact.

You could order with Windows 10 and then upgrade next year for free if you really wanted to, but there's very little difference in the OS itself, slightly different menu layout here and there, but in the main they're very much the same OS. And on 11, you don't need menus anyway because search actually works, so you just type what you need into search.

Windows 11 is still receiving version updates whereas Windows 10 ended with 22H2 at the end of last year.

But you've paid for a Windows 11 license, you can't downgrade that to 10, you'd have to buy an additional license for 10 which seems a bit mental.

I would strongly suggest biting the bullet now and getting 11, there's no reason to stick to 10 at all other than not being willing to get used to something new, but performance wise and security wise, windows 11 is far better.

m0zzy

Cheers, ..
Whats this Trusted Platform Module.?
Will it stop me installing old programs onto it ..?
Have you got W11, have you had problems with TPM .?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Whats this Trusted Platform Module.?
It's something that stores cyptographic keys for things like encryption and passwordless logins. The internet is quickly moving away from passwords, and soon you won't be able to logon to anything unless your device has a TPM chip on it (which every modern device does)

Will it stop me installing old programs onto it ..?
Shouldn't have any impact, it's not related to programs.

Have you got W11, have you had problems with TPM .?
What problems are you referring to? TPM has been around for a long time now, anyone who uses bitlocker since windows 7 days has needed a TPM. It's nothing new.