11.6" Gemini - OS Question

Glitch100

Hey Guys,

I am contemplating getting this, and I was just curious that if I get the full 64Bit Windows 8.1 on it, where it is actually that or like Windows RT? Also if anyone could say their experience with it if they have one :)

Looking to do development on the train with it :)

Thanks!

Normski

It's definitely full Windows 8.1 (64-bit). Still getting used to the OS functionally speaking - but there's lots I like about having a hybrid device.

I used mine in earnest at a games jam at the weekend, running Unity Pro and it was a pleasure. One thing I would suggest is going bigger on the SSD, it's lovely and fast but Windows takes up a huge amount of space so the default 64gig version might be a bit small if you want to regularly use it out and about.

The only think physically speaking that is a problem is that you can't use it on your lap - like the original Surface Pro, the stand is very narrow, so you can only really use it on a hard surface - the tray tables you get on most trains are fine, though.

shiftybushman

Linux?

The Gemini is the only pcs laptop which is not available without an OS. Is that because it's not compatible with Linux? Ubuntu 14.04 is supposed to work really well with tablets, so I'm looking for a tablet/laptop hybrid like the Gemini to use with ubuntu. Has anyone tried installing ubuntu 14.04 or at least running a 14.04 live usb stick on it?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The Gemini is the only pcs laptop which is not available without an OS. Is that because it's not compatible with Linux? Ubuntu 14.04 is supposed to work really well with tablets, so I'm looking for a tablet/laptop hybrid like the Gemini to use with ubuntu. Has anyone tried installing ubuntu 14.04 or at least running a 14.04 live usb stick on it?

You mean the tablet? You should be able to order it without an OS , you may need to contact PCS directly to modify the order. No idea about Linux compatibility.

steaky360

Obviously this does not constitute PCS's response on this matter (try phoning for a direct response, but they might not actually know themselves), but from what I've read (been looking through manual and drivers etc) it might not be an easy thing to simply use Linux on the Gemini. There seem to be no drivers for Linux on Clevo's website for this chassis and no mention of other operating systems in the manual. Not to say its not possible. I just think it'll be difficult. However saying that, I think if you're used to running Linux generally these difficulties wouldn't phase you :)

Last edited: