120gb ssd

paul1224

I'm thinking about purchasing a laptop for basic needs like word processing, internet, football manager, etc.

I'm looking at the 15.6 Ultranote and pretty much had my spec listed in my head, however the one thing I can probably do extra within my budget is get a 120 GB Kingston SSD instead of the 250GB Scorpio Black that I was looking at.

My concern is space, currently I have a W7 work PC with 450GB hard drive and use about 45GB of it. At home I have a desktop with 250GB hard drive and use about 80-90GB at the very most so was thinking that 120GB would be doable. I would prefer 240GB SSD but my budget doesn't stretch so wondered if anyone had any thoughts on whether the 120GD SSD over the 250GB Scorpio Black was worth it?

Thanks

Jamie0202

Enthusiast
Obviously you will get far better performance from the SSD but only you can decide if the storage will be enough. I have the 120GB SSD but in my build it is combined with a 1TB HDD. For me personally 120GB would not be enough. A few things to bear in mind are:-

There is actually only 104GB available on my Kingston 120GB SSD.
You need to leave some free space for performance issues and system stability, further reducing its capacity.
There are however some things you can do to free space eg disabling hibernation and deleting the hiberfil.sys.

In the end it's up to you but those are some things to consider.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I went for a 240gb SSD as my primary drive. Have a 120gb on my desktop and it's just not quite enough when you install a few games.

240gb is perfect for me, got 10 or so games installed and 40 or so Gb free.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
As Jamie said, only you can decide if it's enough. You will lose a bit due to formatting, my 120gb SSD actually holds 111gb. Also, you've got to bear in mind that windows takes up a large amount of space as well.

If you don't think you'll have enough room then you could just get the cheapest HDD for the time being and buy a larger SSD later on, that way you won't regret it :)

paul1224

Thanks for the replies, I think 120GB would be enough but it could be a bit close at times so I think that currently with my budget I'd probably get the Scorpio Black as for what I use the PC/laptop for the loading times won't be a major issue.
Either that or just get a bigger budget and go for the 240GB SSD I guess.

A side issue with SSD's, due to my work I currently use CCleaner to wipe my free space on my hard drive due to sometimes working on confidential (nothing major!) work files from time to time. I don't know much about SSD's but thought that they should actually re-use the free space/wipe the free space itself as part of how they work, is this true? If not/it's not that secure are there any free options to wipe free space on SSD's or does it cause issues like defragging does for them?

Thanks