14" fusion (Ryzen 7 & 64gb mem) for Development/DL

edleonard

Some pre-sales advice required, please I am interested in the new fusion 14" model with the Ryzen7 chip and 64GB mem. 1TB PCi 660 SSD

background:
Firstly I am not a gamer, so the lack of a Titan or 2080 is not a deal-breaker, even if I had one I would be using it for Deep Learning rather than gaming. It would be my intention to run dual boot, primarily Linux, but with a Windows10(Pro) & WSL partition also for the occasions where I am forced into using MS. If support is lacking I can live with W10Pro and WSL so OS is not a big concern (but Linux greatly preferred).

Questions:
1. for anyone having this model, how is the heat management/shielding?
2. Are any non-gamers out there having any heat issues with these models?
3. Again, as a non-gamer will the trackpad still grate as it does for some who I presume are perhaps more gaming-focused?
4. Anyone running any Python/R stack on this machine and if so what are/were any downsides?
5. If you have bought this would you buy again?

Thanks in advance

edleonard

It needs both, it won't be desk-bound completely so the very limited battery life of the nova is a bit of a blocker even though it has appealing factors. I guess if I sum up some potential use cases as:

1) I will use colab a lot and therefore some system requirements are moot in that sense.
2) for projects not on colab and based on local processing and churning a little bit of power and mem will be handy
3) for hungriest demands a laptop isn't going to suffice and they would be done on desktop, GPU/multi GPU territory.

Therefore I could get away with a lower spec but it's better to have the little bit of headroom available. If it was all colab based work I could get away with a Chromebook and a monthly subscription to disk, mem and GPU availability. Once going above a Ryzen5 and 16gb the next steps up are not so offputting that they're unachievable and if it's got some headspace in the specs it wont need to be superseded as quickly (hopefully)