14" ULTRANOTE II KEEPS BOOTING IN UEFI MODE

rajsidhu

Hi,

I bought my 14" ULTRANOTE II in 2014 and it's still going strong.

However, since installing Windows 10 in it a few months back, it now keeps trying to boot up in UEFI mode. I then have to keep accessing the boot mode and disable the UEFI boot mode manually each time I restart the laptop - really annoying!!

Does anyone know how I can stop this from always happening?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

I bought my 14" ULTRANOTE II in 2014 and it's still going strong.

However, since installing Windows 10 in it a few months back, it now keeps trying to boot up in UEFI mode. I then have to keep accessing the boot mode and disable the UEFI boot mode manually each time I restart the laptop - really annoying!!

Does anyone know how I can stop this from always happening?
What do you mean keeps booting in uefi mode? Is it that it boots into the BIOS, or that the BIOS keeps re enabling uefi boot rather than legacy?

Is there a reason you don’t want uefi on? Is it for Linux?

rajsidhu

Yess sorry, the second one is exactly correct. The BIOS keeps re enabling uefi boot rather than legacy.

rajsidhu

When this is happening, I turn on my laptop and I get a black screen straight away with a message telling me to press any key to boot my device but every time i press a key the same message keeps appearing.

I believe my motherboard does not support uefi so i cannot turn it on. My laptop runs on Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
When this is happening, I turn on my laptop and I get a black screen straight away with a message telling me to press any key to boot my device but every time i press a key the same message keeps appearing.

I believe my motherboard does not support uefi so i cannot turn it on. My laptop runs on Windows 10 Pro 64bit

If your motherboard didn't support it, I'd very much expect it to NOT have a UEFI BIOS.

rajsidhu

Absolutely my thoughts so I don't understand why it tries to boot up in uefi mode.

Had the laptop for 6 years and only notice this happening when I changed to Windows 10.

What can I do to fix this?

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
If Windows refuses to boot in UEFI mode then as above.

Is this the only setting it's losing? If other things like date and time are being lost then the other thing could be the CMOS battery needs changing (if that model has one).

rajsidhu

Well yes, when this happens and I go into the bios and change to boot in normal mode, windows starts and I always then have to change the time settings.

So do you think it's just a case of seeing if i have a CMOS battery and changing it?

Should it be easily accessible? From the underneath im guessing? And am I right that i should look like an oversized watch battery?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Absolutely my thoughts so I don't understand why it tries to boot up in uefi mode.

Had the laptop for 6 years and only notice this happening when I changed to Windows 10.

What can I do to fix this?
What OS did you change from? How did you upgrade to Windows 10?

rajsidhu

I went from Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 pro.

I a completely new install of Windows 10 from scratch, so deleted my hard drive and started to install Windows 10.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Do you think i installed Windows 10 incorrectly?
I'm wondering that. I would make a new USB stick containing the latest version of Windows 10 (use the Media Creation Tool to make that USB stick). Then decide whether you want to use UEFI or not. If not ensure that all the UEFI and secure boot options are turned off in the BIOS. On the other hand, if you do want to use UEFI (and I would suggest you do) then ensure that all UEFI options and secureboot are turned on in the BIOS.

Then boot the install USB and install Windows.

rajsidhu

Is it possible to do this without getting rid of all my programs and files or will it have to be a scratch install?

rajsidhu

OK no worries, I can do that.

How would you recommend that I backup my files and programs in such a way that is then really easy to put back onto my laptop once i have finished the scratch install?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
OK no worries, I can do that.

How would you recommend that I backup my files and programs in such a way that is then really easy to put back onto my laptop once i have finished the scratch install?
Do you only have 1 drive in the laptop?
if You do then any external media will do, as you would normally backup.

if you have multiple then transfer the data to the secondary drive