15.6" Octane II - Professional Feedback Please

moheli

Silver Level Poster
Octane Series - 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X IMPACT 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 8GB)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970M - 6.0GB DDR5 Video RAM, DirectX® 12, G-SYNC
250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1525-AC M.2 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
30 Day Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
PCS EXTRA-CARE DIAMOND DELIVERY - MON-FRI, PRE-NOON

I would've preferred a little more memory on my hard disk but - at a grand total of £1,359 - this laptop comes literally £1 under my budget quota. From what I can see, it's heavy but it's got a nice design and is powerful in performance. It doesn't support Nvidia Optimus Technology but, instead, has a dedicated Nvdia G-Sync feature. And the laptop itself is very upgradeable.

But there are questions here that can only be answered by reviews, that which I can find none of. How does it feel to the touch? Are there any problems with the display? How loud are the fans? How effective is its cooling system? How hot does this laptop get under intensive use and/or during elongated periods? This laptop is apparently known as the Clevo P751DM-G so if any of you are familiar with it or know of any reviews and/or unboxing videos that answer these questions, please let me know. I want to buy a gaming laptop as soon as possible and this one seems perfect but I cannot make the decision unless I see a hands-on assessment! Thanks in advance.

3_big.jpg 5_big.jpg

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
This is a new laptop, only been on the market a week or so, so probably few if any reviews. I have the previous version, with the i7 4790 and so difficult to offer much advice. The keyboard and screen are fine, I do not game but watch videos on it and the picture quality has been great. The fans kick in a lot but soon have the temps down plus I have a feeling the Skylake may not run quite as hot. The fan noise does not bother me, although film watching I have the volume up so will not notice it a lot, plus we all have different noise tolerance so it is a personal thing.
Re stoarage, you probably already know but PCS allow you to open the laptop up without voiding the warranty, as long as nothing is damaged in the process. It is quite an easy upgrade to add another drive, the WD 7200rpm are very good, I have one as my second drive, so you could add this later when the funds are there.

moheli

Silver Level Poster
Well do you know what material it is made out of? It looks like a strong plastic, or alloy, but it looks a little rubbery too.

Stephen M

Author Level
You may find some more info here: http://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=813&lang=en#tabs-2

My version is solid enough, the top and surface area by the keyboard have a slight rubbery feel, they are also fingerprint magnets so keeping clean is a slight problem. But again, I do not really want to compare too much as it may be a complete new chassis. Yur best bet is to ask PCS, you could try Clevo, the chassis makers, but I am still waiting for email replies to questions sent them two weeks ago and a couple last week.

Last edited: