15.6" Octane III removable GPU?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
it is possible to remove but unlikely to be compatible with newer GPUs as it requires a BIOS update. It is also going to be expensive and difficult to source a mobile GPU

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Also I believe the GPU isn't quite the regular MXM format as well, so Volta would need to have the same not-quite-MXM format. I'm not sure what's different, power connectors I think at least?

I believe the GPU can be removed and replaced, so that if you're unlucky and the GPU dies you don't need a whole new motherboard, it can just be swapped out with a working GPU of the same kind. But I would assume upgrades aren't possible.

Another laptop vendor/manufacturer allegedly "said something like upgrade to the 980m GTX and future generations beyond the 980m GTX" for one of its older products, and people were therefore very disappointed and displeased to find out that the new 10xx cards didn't work with that older model. So even where a laptop has a GPU that is modular and could in theory be swapped out with anything of the same standard, there's no guarantee at all that future GPUs will conform to that standard.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I believe the cards are made by the manufacturers, in this case Clevo (Possibly working in a partnership but I don't know for certain). I would be surprised if they went off at a complete tangent to the design unless there was a revolutionary new design that cut costs/etc. There would be absolutely no guarantees whatsoever that they will plug and play though.

As much as it isn't MXM compatible, it IS an MXM card with an additional power supply. I'm not sure of the exact ins and outs of why it's not MXM-B but I'm sure there will be reasons. Keeping the design as close to MXM as possible is likely the most cost effective solution for Clevo.

agtrinity

Bronze Level Poster
That's disappointing but I understand that laptops are not upgradeable like desktops, I had hoped they would have bridged this gap by now but clearly they haven't